Problems after adding SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Borman, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Borman, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

macrumors member

Hi everyone. I just installed an Intel SSD into my Mac Pro. It runs a bit slow (since it is being read at 1.5 vs 3) but that is something I can deal with for now. The bigger issue is that, despite working fine in OSX, trying to boot up Windows leads to a blinking underscore on a black screen. It doesn't get past it. Removing the SSD allows Windows to boot like normal. Anything I should check out?

Intel 330 series SSD
    In Bay 4 (But putting it in the CD bay with a SATA to IDE converter didn't change anything)

2. macrumors 6502a

So I take it that the SSD was not in the MP when you installed Windows (using Bootcamp I assume)?

Is OSX installed on the SSD, or is it just a blank SSD?

Did you move any drives around when you installed the SSD?

Which MP do you have?

I had similar problems, and it was the boot manager that was all screwed up. I had to basically use the Boot menu just to get into OSX. Eventually I realised that when I moved the HD with Bootcamp/Windows installed in Bay1, it worked fine. I didn't matter where I put the SSDs, or the Raid0 HDs, but the HD with Bootcamp on it, had to be in Bay1...

3. Borman, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

SSD was not in the Mac Pro. Nothing is currently installed on the SSD, although I plan on putting Mountain Lion on it (Mac Pro 1,1, so Ill have to be hacking it). Currently running Lion. No other drives were moved around.

I reinstalled REFIT, that didn't change anything. I have tried removing every drive but the Windows drive and the SSD, with no go, but Ill try putting it into Bay 1 as well. Shutting it down now to give it a go.

Edit: That may have just worked. What a strange, strange solution. Windows is booting now. Going to reboot things a few times to confirm, but wow :p Yep, it worked. Thank you so much. Who would have thought the position of the boot camp drive would make a difference.

4. macrumors regular

How slow is the ssd? I have the same one sitting in my desk after my 09 Mac mini objected to it.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Its from 120-140MB/s, so about half the speed I expect. Im hoping Mountain Lion helps out a bit, but if not, its still faster than a HDD. Plus, I have hope that Ill figure something out hah

6. macrumors 6502a

Great it worked. It was a revelation to me as well, after struggling with that for days, maybe even weeks (it is a blur now:)

I don't know if it is in all situations, but at least in my (our) setup(s) the Bootcamp drive has to be in Bay1.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Whatever the reason is, so long as it keeps working IM satisfied.