Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Ok, I recently installed 10.3.3 on a machine here at work we're testing to see if we can all upgrade from 9.2.2

Anyway, there is one problem that really bites.

When browsing the Windows servers, we have folders on there that are by letter so we can find a logo. The problem is when I open a folder (say the letter "M"), it takes almost a minute for it to show the contents of the folder. While it's waiting I get the spinning beach ball.

Is there a fix for this or is it still a continuing problem?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've run into the same thing, and it's not new to 10.3.3 unfortunately. If you're on a Windows network that has a lot of shares it can take a LONG time for them to show up in the Finder. Meanwhile you're looking at an empty finder window... :confused:

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
Doesn't really sound to normal to me.

You didn't give alot of information.

For one thing under directory access for SMB, I would enter the Windows Domain that the files servers are in, and enter a valid WINS server.

Also is active directory running at your location? If so your company probably has internal DNS servers that have a records for this file server. It might help to configure your dns settings on the Macintosh to point to the internal DNS servers and enter the dns namespace for the active directory in the dns search suffix on the Macintosh as well. These things will help if you are connecting over TCP/IP, which you can do as long as the Windows server is running windows 2000 server or windows 2003 server. If this is the case you might want to make sure that appletalk is turned off.

If the windows server is windows NT 4.0 then you will need to use appletalk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.