Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hi all!

I would REALLY appreciate if someone can help me

I've tried for 2 days to get my 360 to use my macbooks wireless connnection to go on xbox live with no joy and its winding me up! As my wife has but a stop from a cable going all the way from a bedroom downstairs to the living room!

Im using a Belkin Wireless router I have the new macbook and running latest Leopard. My router ip is 192.168.2.1

I've tried to follow other guides but i cant seem to get passed the DNS settings failing everytime.

Also in some of the guides it says to turn ipv4 off (on ethernet) but then it says its not plugged in when i try and do the xbox live test so fails at the start.

My settings im using are
in 360 dashboard:
IP= 192.168.2.2
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.2.1
DNS Prim=192.168.2.1
DNS Sec=192.168.2.1

My wireless settings on the mac are
ipv4=192.168.2.2
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Router=192.168.2.1

My ethernet settings just says disconnected but im using DHCP whatever that is!

If i set it manually and use 192.168.2.1 it passes the IP test on 360 Live test but again still fails on DNS!

I've tried doing the ifconfig en0/1 which sometimes gives me the ip 192.168.2.1 sometimes nothing at all

and when i do dig its the same as above.

As you can see im stuck!!!

Thanks so much for looking at this and please help this noob stay sane!

Also just one more thing to note when i have the ethernet cable (supplied with 360) connected to both laptop and 360 sometimes the wireless internet wont work until i take the cable out of the laptop.

Chris.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
It looks like your 360 and MacBook are using the same IP :192.168.2.2. Try changing either of them to a differenet, non used IP address.

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah thats one of the guides I followed and still no luck.

re: The IP address i'll give it a whirl now?

Shall i change the 360 ip to 192.168.2.3?

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah thats one of the guides I followed and still no luck.

re: The IP address i'll give it a whirl now?

Shall i change the 360 ip to 192.168.2.3?
Yeah, change it to .3 as long as nothing else on the network has that address. Personally, i'd change it to something like .10 just so it's away from the lowest end of the DHCP lease, as that's where it assigns addresses from.

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks, I've tried .3 and .10 in the 360 settings but it comes up IP failed.

i've checked my DHCP ethernet settings and the ip says 169.254.55.34 do i need to change that?

sorry to bombard you with questions.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
Yeah, don't use DHCP for the connection from the MacBook to the 360, as they're directly connected, the router won't assign them IP's. Make sure they're both static. Go for .10 on one and .20 on the other maybe.

The 169. address is an automatic private address, which is useless.

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
ok im now using

mac airport IP: 192.168.2.10
Ethernet IP: 192.168.2.20
360 IP: 192.168.2.1

still comes up failed :/

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
ok. The IPs look good apart from the 360. Your router is probably using .1. Try setting that as .15 or something.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
ok im now using

mac airport IP: 192.168.2.10
Ethernet IP: 192.168.2.20
360 IP: 192.168.2.1

still comes up failed :/

Here's what I did.

First, set your Macbook's ethernet IP to something totally different, like 10.0.0.1. Set your Xbox 360 to something on the same network, like 10.0.0.2. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0. On your 360, set the gateway to your MacBook's ETHERNET IP address (10.0.0.1, in this case). Set the primary DNS server on the 360 to your cable modem's IP address (probably 192.168.2.1) and the secondary DNS to your Mac's IP address (192.168.2.10).

If your Ethernet port is still showing unconnected, reboot your Mac. I've noticed that recently if my Internet Sharing option was off, it won't work correctly until I've restarted the machine.

Run the connection test. It should work like a charm.

Instructions were gleaned from this post at ArsTechnica. They have served me well under Leopard on both my 360 and PS3, using internet connections both at my house and at a friend's, and so should (hopefully!) work for you as well.

William "Bill" Munny said:
I could only get my 360 to talk to my Mac by configuring the IP manually. Using DHCP just wouldn't work. (The Wii's just as picky, via wireless.)

Given that I was using Leopard, there didn't seem to be any instructions out there, but I eventually managed to work it out.

I manually assigned IP address 10.0.0.1 to my spare Ethernet connection (on a Mac Pro) and told it to share the internet using this port.

On the 360:

IP settings = manual
IP address = 10.0.0.2
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 10.0.0.1 (my Mac Pro's Ethernet connection address)

DNS settings = manual
Primary DNS server = 192.168.1.1 (my cable modem).
Secondary DNS server = 192.168.1.101 (my Mac Pro's IP address on the other Ethernet connection - the one that goes to the modem).

With these settings, I can connect to Live, download game demos, etc, etc. I haven't changed any plist settings at all. Sometimes I have to turn Internet sharing off and on a couple of times to get it to work, but apart from that, it works fine.

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
WOW thank you!! (legend!)

I get passed all the settings with the new ip's you Gave!!!! :D

Only thing is though when i try to sign in to xbox live it just shows a "shadow" picture of the console with a ring of dots round it, the lights go round and round the dots and nothing happens :rolleyes:

ah well least im a step closer!

thanks again to everyone for your time and advice, and if anyone can help with the next step that would be awesome.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
WOW thank you!! (legend!)

I get passed all the settings with the new ip's you Gave!!!! :D

Only thing is though when i try to sign in to xbox live it just shows a "shadow" picture of the console with a ring of dots round it, the lights go round and round the dots and nothing happens :rolleyes:

ah well least im a step closer!

thanks again to everyone for your time and advice, and if anyone can help with the next step that would be awesome.

Odd. I use the same settings and I'm able to download stuff from Xbox Live and play my PS3 online as well, so I don't know that that's necessarily the issue here. How long does the connection take before you halt it?

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I've managed to play gears of war online by going straight to the game and trying to do multiplayer then it signing me in that way.

As soon as i leave to dashboard it gets stuck on the icon thing again on 3 of the screens (market place / live/ games)

Is it do with my NAT is "strict"?

thanks

Chris

Jamnabot

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2005
UK
Do you have a firewall?

xbox live needs the following ports open to work properly:

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

If you don't have a firewall, make sure those ports are forwarded to your mac from the router.

This should get your NAT status to at least 'Moderate' which is much better than 'Strict'.

It -is- possible to get an 'Open' NAT but that requires 3rd party routing software to share your connection from the Mac to the xbox, and not just the built in internet sharing

TaKeuptheCROSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for in the info

Im just using the mac built in firewall

How do i open those ports please!? (oh it hurts to be a noob!)

Thanks

dorkoramios

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
NAT "open"

Do you have a firewall?

xbox live needs the following ports open to work properly:

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

If you don't have a firewall, make sure those ports are forwarded to your mac from the router.

This should get your NAT status to at least 'Moderate' which is much better than 'Strict'.

It -is- possible to get an 'Open' NAT but that requires 3rd party routing software to share your connection from the Mac to the xbox, and not just the built in internet sharing

Can anyone give me more information on possibly getting my NAT to 'Open'? I am successfully running XBL using my macbook which is sharing its wireless internet connection with my console via ethernet. However, i am unable to join games with any of my friends due to my 'Moderate' NAT setting. If anyone can give me information on getting my NAT to 'Open' that would be great! Third party routing software mentioned above? Thanks.
:)

cesarcesar

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKS!!!! First a little back story.

Got my Mac Blackbook and the wi-fi worked great from my Linksys wrt54g2 router. Moved to Germany and into an apartment and my connection issues started happening. My MB would connect once then loose connection quickly and would only recover connection if i either closed and re-opened my screen, or re-connected to my network... then it would drop again before my next page turn.

After multiple days of research I read about SOOOO many others having this issue and the fact the Apple pretty much refused to acknowledge the issue. It seemed that sometime near the OX 10.4.2 update the airport driver got fubar'd leaving all those with Intel based macs wi-fi connects messed up.

Some of the solutions i read about and tried had to do with changing my WEP connection to WPA. This did not work, but i left it as WPA as my research finds it a more secure connection. I also read about and tried setting my Wireless RTA Threshold in my router to 256 from the *2432 default. This as well did not work, though I have left it at this setting as it seems to be the best value for MAC's connecting over wi-fi. This is not true for PC's though so be careful.

More research, more research, o' my brain hurts and my patience is wearing..... then BINGO!!! I found a thread about connection issues that pertained to MB's not connecting to local-network printers. The poster mentioned that MAC's seem to have a hard time connecting to networks that had more than one wi-fi network present. This is my issue i thought. I have 8 in my available connections now. In my old home I had just mine. So i followed the directions suggested and it has now been 2 weeks of 100% perfect wi-fi connections.

Below is the excerpt from this page, http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/topic2005.html (Do a find for “Little Snitch”). The program the writer talks about is called Little Snitch found here, http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html. It's a $29 dollar program, but in my mind its well worth it to make my $1500 Blackbook work!

This may not be the Apple Fix we have been waiting for them, but its completely working for me.

I have used Little Snitch software for several years, and it occurred to me that I might be able to use it to block any connections with the other network. Using the latest version (v.2), go to Preferences, or Little Snitch Configuration, choose Rules under the Window menu, and click the New button.

In the pop-up window that shows up, click on the gear icon and choose "Choose System Process." A file open box opens, and under the folder "libexec," choose "airportd." "airportd" is the system daemon that controls the Airport card in the MacBook Pro. In the box that comes up, set the main menu to "Allow Connections" and the Server menu to "Local Network."

spoonfull22

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
gloss your a legend i tried all kinds of **** to try and get my xbox working with my macs internet and nothing worked till this, Cheers :p

andejp12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I had tried following several guides all with no luck. After reading Gloss's post though I'm now signed in and downloading an update right now. This is great as now I don't have to spend another gob of money.

oggy669

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Hi,

I've tried adjusting all my settings as above but something isn't right??? I've a wired connection and the IP address has worked too.....The PROBLEM is the DNS!! It just says failed every time. Its getting v. frustrating now!!
EDIT

I've worked it out now...

For anyone who is still struggling...
Try changing your DNS settings from:
eg mine is 192.168.1.1 change it to 192.168.2.1

It worked for me!!

Tycegn

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
I have done it all

I have tried everything I can find to make this work. Here is what I have done:

I am running Leopard and using a Linksys Router. I began with the following:

On the iMac:
Ethernet Connection (manual)
IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Airport IP:192.168.1.100

On XBox:
IP: 10.0.0.2
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: My Routers WAN IP (found on whatsmyip.org)

Next, I tried changing the settings to the following

On XBox:
IP: 10.0.0.2
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.100

Last, I tried using making the primary and secondary DNS addresses the same. Every time I have the same problem.... it fails when testing the DNS........ PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

Parkourkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Simple question from a new comer

Hi I am sorta new to this whole wireless connection thing....so I wouldnt know If this is off topic...however I am desperate for some help....ok so I play xbox live quite often...however my nat type is strict so I cannot play with friends and it takes forever to find a game...when my dad changes the nat on our airport extreme it will not work with his Mac book any suggestions on what to do???
I have an airport extreme and a Motorola dsl Modem Model 2210
I have a net gear wireless device that I use to pick up x box live but it does not effect the speed of finding a gMe even if it is a wired connection....ps...in most of my games it tells me that my nat will be effecting my online experience.....please please please help!!!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.