Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakario

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I have a view defined in the interface builder that contains a subview that will be used to contain a custom tableview. The tableview is loaded into the subview in the viewDidLoad event of the view that contains it, and then upon being loaded does a bit of work on a provided list of items and populates the table accordingly.

Trouble is, when I load the tableView and attempt to perform any operations on it, I get a EXC_BAD_ACCESS error from the debugger:

PriceHistoryViewController.h
Code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface PriceHistoryViewController : UITableViewController {
	NSMutableArray		*priceList;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) NSMutableArray	*priceList;

- (void)sortAndColorPriceHistory;

- (void)setPriceList:(NSMutableArray *)priceArray;

- (void)doSomething;

@end

SellViewController.m - viewDidLoad()
Code:
// Implement viewDidLoad to do additional setup after loading the view.
- (void)viewDidLoad {
	[super viewDidLoad];

if(priceHistoryTable == nil) {
		PriceHistoryViewController *controller = [[PriceHistoryViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"PriceHistoryView" bundle:[NSBundle mainBundle]];
		priceHistoryTable = controller;
		[controller release];
	}

//....unrelated stuff

[priceHistoryTable doSomething];
	[priceTableView addSubview:priceHistoryTable.view];
}

Any message I send to priceHistoryTable produces an EXC_BAD_ACCESS error, but there's no apparent indication of the problem. According to my debugging the priceHistoryTable is being created successfully and it is not nil before I perform operations on it.

The doSomething method I call above is only supposed to put a message in the NSLog, but even that causes a problem. Ideas?

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
The problem is that you're not retaining the priceHistoryTable view controller. You don't show much of the SellViewController code. If you have a property for priceHistoryTable then you should use it when you assign the priceHistoryTable variable.

Code:
self. priceHistoryTable = controller;

Since you're not retaining the view controller it's being released before you use it.

Lakario

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
The problem is that you're not retaining the priceHistoryTable view controller. You don't show much of the SellViewController code. If you have a property for priceHistoryTable then you should use it when you assign the priceHistoryTable variable.

Code:
self. priceHistoryTable = controller;

Since you're not retaining the view controller it's being released before you use it.

Thank you sir, I knew it had to be something silly like that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.