Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Hi,

We have four computers on a network which has recently been set up. The network is as follows:

Beige G3 (OS 9.0.4) connected via a 5-port switch to a G3 iMac (OS9.2.1). Also connected to the switch is a Linksys WET-11 wireless ethernet bridge.

Connected to the router (which is getting a signal from the bridge, as we use it for internet access) via its built in hub is a G3 iBook (OS9.2.1) and a Dual MDD G4 (OS10.2.1).

All computers have file sharing and disk permissions set up correctly. Before this network was installed, we used to share files between two computers using a crossover cable.

The iBook and G4 will "talk" to each other, but not to the G3 or iMac. The G3 and iMac will "talk" to each other, but not the iBook and G4. If I plug the iBook into the switch with the G3 and iMac, the three computers will talk to each other, but not the G4.

Seeing as computers can't talk to others on the other side of the wireless network, I'm guessing I haven't set something up correctly in the AppleTalk or File Sharing control panels in OS9 (I'm not worrying about OSX at the moment - the G4 only really needs to talk to the iBook, which it already does)

If anyone can shed any light on this strange problem, I'd much appreciate it. Feel free to ask for clarifictions if you don't understand what I've been talking about.

If it is of any relevance, these problems started after we installed the wired and wireless network, along with broadband (yes, dialup does still exist ;) )

Thanks for the help

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Hmmm, based on your post, it sounds like the network is set up somewhat strangely. I'm attaching an image that shows how I think it should be set up, but it sounds like somehow the wireless bridge (shown as an Airport in my image) is connected to the internet??

Anyway, can you confirm my diagram, it may help diagnose the problem. Since everything started to go bad when you installed the network, it is likely a configuration issue, not an OS9 issue, but we'll see.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 82

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
The Wireless ethernet bridge is used to bridge the gap (which is not possible to be bridged by cables, due to financial and technical reasons) between the two wired LAN's, and to allow the iMac and G3 to share the iBook/G4's internet connection.

I've attached an image to show how my network is set up. The blue line is not a cable, its the signal from the wireless bridge

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 358

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
they all need to be on the same subnet or same router/switch to connect to eachother. your switch and wireless bridge assign IP address individually so they cant all see each other but can see the ones in the same IP range. id say get something like a linksys WRT54G (thats what i have) it has four wired ports built in as well as wireless capabilites. my PB can 'talk' b/w various apple systems and windows systems (yes i have roommates that use windows) that are connected through wire or wireless. otherwise your wireless bridge needs to turn into a slave system for your wired router (switch) so your switch can do all of the IP assigning. i do not know the hardware you have enough to know if that can work. but once everything is on the same subnet you will be set!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
wPod is spot on with this one - I am assuming that your Wireless Bridge is somehow taking the IP address it gets from the wireless router and subsequently distributing it's own IP address on a different subnet.

The Linksys bridge you have should be capable of simply acting as a Gateway to the existing wireless network.

What I still don't understand - is your existing modem/router wireless, or when you say "share iBook/G4's internet connection" you are referring to the use of OS X's Internet Sharing capabilities?

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
emw said:
What I still don't understand - is your existing modem/router wireless, or when you say "share iBook/G4's internet connection" you are referring to the use of OS X's Internet Sharing capabilities?

My existing Modem/router (which is an "Intelligent Gateway 1800") has built in wireless capabilities. I'm on the iMac now, using it as my broadband modem.

The Intelligent Gateway also has a 4-port ethernet hub on it, and the iBook and G4 are connected to this hub. The IG then shares out the net connection accordingly (and, if the iMac is online at the same time as the iBook and G4, it shares out the connection between all three).

The internet connection side of things works fine (apart from the IG has a really bad and cheap wireless transmitter on it, so the bridge occasionally loses the signal), its just file sharing that's the problem.

I am looking at swapping my modem/router for a WRT54G - can anyone recommend a modem that is compatible with UK broadband ISP's (only 512Kbps needed), and isn't too expensive.

Thanks for the help :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The WET-11 user guide has some information in it that looks like it applies to your situation. Before purchasing a new device (since you have connectivity now), you may want to check some of your settings.

A couple that jumped out at me:

1) Make sure the switch on the back is set to ||, not to X to tell it that it is connected to a switch and not a specific CPU.

2) Make sure you are set to Infrastructure mode, not Ad Hoc mode in the setup utility.

If those are already done, then perhaps the wireless connection doesn't support AppleTalk, which is likely the case, and you need to make sure you are attempting to connect to devices via IP and not via AppleTalk.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
emw said:
The WET-11 user guide has some information in it that looks like it applies to your situation. Before purchasing a new device (since you have connectivity now), you may want to check some of your settings.

A couple that jumped out at me:

1) Make sure the switch on the back is set to ||, not to X to tell it that it is connected to a switch and not a specific CPU.

2) Make sure you are set to Infrastructure mode, not Ad Hoc mode in the setup utility.

If those are already done, then perhaps the wireless connection doesn't support AppleTalk, which is likely the case, and you need to make sure you are attempting to connect to devices via IP and not via AppleTalk.

The Bridge is set to II, and not to X - I found that out the hard way when I was setting everything up :D

I believe it is also set to Infrastructure mode, as I don't remember enabling Ad-Hoc.

I'll have a look around the file sharing control panel and see what I can find about connecting via IP

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
thomasp said:
I'll have a look around the file sharing control panel and see what I can find about connecting via IP

I haven't used OS 9 for awhile, but I believe in the Chooser you can simply type in an IP address for the Mac you're attempting to contact.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
emw said:
I haven't used OS 9 for awhile, but I believe in the Chooser you can simply type in an IP address for the Mac you're attempting to contact.

Yeah, I've just found that.

Thanks for the help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.