Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bordenkecher

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
im trying to watch some video clips with windows media player b/c the files are wmv and i they dont have codecs or plugins for intel-macs for QT yet, but anyway, im trying to watch these clips that are about 80-120MB and wmp will skip while its playin, it gets really choppy and it gives me a headache, also i was watching my cpu while this was happening and it would jump all the way up 60% usage, i dont really know what the problem is, but i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas

bordenkecher

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
i think i just figured out my own problem through a revelation i just had. wmp is not a universal binary yet, therefore it does not run well on intel macs b/c of the translation through rosetta, well smaller files will run fine, but the larger ones are a struggle.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
bordenkecher said:
i think i just figured out my own problem through a revelation i just had. wmp is not a universal binary yet, therefore it does not run well on intel macs b/c of the translation through rosetta, well smaller files will run fine, but the larger ones are a struggle.

*LOL* That's actually the case on PPC Macs too. WMP has never run well on OSX. IIRC, it's written in Java, which would partly explain that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.