Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I have a powerbook, and when plugged in, is it ok to put the processor to highest? I'm not really good with remembering these techs, and I kept it at automatic because I thought it would get too hot or so. It's on automatic now, if I change it, would I notice some speed? Also, I heard about the computer cleaning or something at 3 AM... kinda like defrag in windows. Does it do that when it's asleep? Should you keep your computer on all night one day to achieve the cleaning?

thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's perfectly safe to run in highest. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be an option!

The housekeeping jobs are run by cron. When the machine is asleep nothing is running (not even cron) so the jobs do not run. It's probably a good idea to let them run every so often, or use one of the many tools out there to run them during the day.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
dorqiekat said:
I have a powerbook, and when plugged in, is it ok to put the processor to highest? I'm not really good with remembering these techs, and I kept it at automatic because I thought it would get too hot or so. It's on automatic now, if I change it, would I notice some speed? Also, I heard about the computer cleaning or something at 3 AM... kinda like defrag in windows. Does it do that when it's asleep? Should you keep your computer on all night one day to achieve the cleaning?

thanks

1. I would not recommend you to set processor performance to highest.
The only difference you'll notice is in benchmarks, but you powerbook will get hot!

2. The cleaning process is the osx cronscripts. It doesn't do it when its asleep.
Don't leave you powerbook on at nights, but download MacJanitor and run it once a week (it activates the scripts, it takes about 5 mins to complete)

3. One last thing, remember to run repair permissions (about once a month) in the diskutility.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
robbieduncan said:
It's perfectly safe to run in highest. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be an option!
cluthz said:
1. I would not recommend you to set processor performance to highest.
The only difference you'll notice is in benchmarks, but you powerbook will get hot!

What do I do??!!

cluthz said:
2. The cleaning process is the osx cronscripts. It doesn't do it when its asleep.
Don't leave you powerbook on at nights, but download MacJanitor and run it once a week (it activates the scripts, it takes about 5 mins to complete)

3. One last thing, remember to run repair permissions (about once a month) in the diskutility.

Where do I get the two programs? Is it in my computer? Can I get it at download.com? Is it free?

What about the 'powerPC (null) v0.0 (tech0)' thing, I think it's called chum..? Should I check on nap or uncheck it?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
dorqiekat said:
What do I do??!!
Where do I get the two programs? Is it in my computer? Can I get it at download.com? Is it free?
What about the 'powerPC (null) v0.0 (tech0)' thing, I think it's called chum..? Should I check on nap or uncheck it?

Do what you feel its best. Highest would not ruin your book, but it will be hot at most time.

Diskutility is already in /Applications/Utilities/

MacJanitor is free, get it a http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

You are talking about CHUD, its a part of the Apple developer kit.
If you are a mac newbie you should not be using CHUD.
Have Nap enabled on your powerbook, it is by default.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Should I get rid of chud? I found the diskutility but I'm not sure as to what to do with it. :confused:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
dorqiekat said:
Should I get rid of chud? I found the diskutility but I'm not sure as to what to do with it. :confused:

You don't need to get rid of CHUD, but don't do anything you know what is..

1. Open diskutil.
2. Select you Harddrive (located in the top of the left collum)
3. Press "Repair disk permissions" button.

4. You have two choices here
Either get a cup of coffe or watch the app working (i'd prefer the first..) :D

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Thanks, I've downloaded macjanitor and ran it and will be doing the diskutility now. Will this bring up the speed a bit? I've been noticing a little slowness lately. I have a 1.33 Ghz powerbook with standard RAM. A friend of mine told me if all you do is word process, web browsing, chat, and listen to music standard is enough and not worth the money to upgrade. Is the slowness because I haven't done any cleaning or the lack or RAM? When I first got my computer I think it was a little bit faster.

Aw, nevermind.. it said that I needed the installer CD, and I left it at home. :eek:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
robbieduncan said:
More RAM is always better :) I'd recommend having at least 512Mb.

I'd agree.
But if you are buying more RAM I'd go for an another 512mb stick (brings you up to 768mb). If you buy a 256mb stick and want more later, you have to throw it away...

If you had is getting full, it will slow down your computer too.
(Besure to have about 5GB free on your powerbook)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.