Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I'm starting to do audio creation/editing and I've been absolutly in love with Acid Pro on my PC, but now that I've gone pretty much totally Mac I'm at a loss as what software to buy. I've just bought a synthesizer and would like something that can handle midi and well as audio editing, mastering, and loop creating. Here's my problem, I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've been looking around and I want something to start out with and it looks like Emagic's MicroLogic was a good deal but one HUGE no-no, OS 9 only. So my question is, apart from spending $300+ dollars, what are some good software packages to look into?

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
If you can hold out for MicroLogic to be updated you will thank yourself later. Logic Platinum has served me exceptionally well over the last two years. I am a huge fan of the interfaces used in all Emagic products, and they handle everything you need, from sound I/Os to MIDI to recording, mixing, treating and mastering (if you can't afford to go to a professional mastering house). On a side note, you may do better to use a program like WAVES for dedicated mastering, as this is a process that often separates digital home recordings from pro-studio work.

If you can't wait, try CUBASE SX. I have a friend who swears by it, and I believe the curve for MIDI programming is less difficult to learn (though less powerful when mastered).

I know many people love Digital Performer, but I learned it recently and do not care for it's interface at all. While it has a very strong following, I found that it complicated my work. Maybe this is due to my experience with other platforms? Really, I thinks it's simply not made for people like me.

What kind of synth do you have? What are your goals? Do you plan to use soft-synths? (Logic has great soft-synths!)

Hope this helps,
Dan

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I found something!

I was looking at http://www.macmall.com and I found this:

Big Box - Logic Audio 5, ES1, EXSP24, EVP73, and the Xtreme Analog Sound Library for ESXP24
Logic Audio 5 (Silver) audio and MIDI production software, the critically acclaimed EVP73 Emagic Vintage Piano, the astoundingly fat ES1 Emagic Synthesizer and Xtreme Analog sample CD.

price: $239

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! I now my local Guitar Center has Logic but I'm hoping they have this package in. I'm planning on going there after work and see what else they have.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
apps

Protools 6 for OS X is on its way out. Cubase SX is great. Nuendo is suposed to be the ProTools destroyer. Reason 2.0 is for OS X and its a great app!

There are still many developers that have not moved to OS X yet in ProAudio .. but its getting there.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
i use pro-tools and am eagerly awaiting an OSX update... since this is a music thread... does anyone have an idea of what to use since theres no cakewalk on the mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.