Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMonivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Hi,

I'm using profile manager to manage a few iPads and Macs. Is there anyway to remotely change the passcode of an iPad. I know I can delete the current passcode and even block the iPad but, how about setting a new passcode the same way I do it with macs?

In case a mac gets lost or stolen I can remotely block it with a new code but, I don't find a way to do it with iOS devices. I can only delete the passcode or erase the device but, not lock it with a new code.

The idea is to do something similar to "find my iPhone (marc as lost)" to lock a device but, using my server instead.

Thanks in advance

Hugo

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
As far as I'm aware this is a limitation of Profile Manager.

FWIW, I've had multiple Apple reps tell me Profile Manager isn't really meant to be used. It's more a proof-of-concept / starting point for third-party solutions like FileWave and Casper. I use PM to manage 330 iPads in a school, and it's a nightmare to say the least.

HMonivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Thank you !!!
I'll have a look at those third-party solutions.

Last edited:

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
If you can't afford Casper take a look at Bushel. It's a very stripped down version but it's at a much lower cost.

HMonivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks again.
Unfortunately, Bushel does not allow to change the passcode remotely, which is what I basically need.

HMonivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So far it's very small (around 7 devices) but, if I like it I might help to implement it at a big school with around 300 devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.