Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I created a .profile in my home directory with this line:

export PATH=.:$PATH:~/bin
alias h history

But it look that it has no effect. Any ideas on what can be blocking? (I'm new to working with the Bash Shell)

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When you say "it has no effect" what have you done? Have you created a new shell/terminal window? Changes to the .profile don't effect currently running shells.

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
1) I think .bash_profile is what you want.

I put the same lines in .bash_profile, and the PATH extension worked perfectly.

However, now I get this message:

-----------------------------------
-bash: alias: h: not found
-bash: alias: history: not found
-----------------------------------

2) Don't add . to your path.

Hmm, just curious, why not? I did that as a initial configuration as recommended in the book I'm reading. (Beginning Show Leopard Programming)

Have you created a new shell/terminal window? Changes to the .profile don't effect currently running shells.

Of course, I know that.

Thanks!

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Or it assumes a different shell where the syntax given works?

Probably not. The book was made to work with the standard bash shell… (this is all I now until now, I'll continue reading)

Have you checked for a website associated with the book, for any corrections to printed errors?

I'll check that. The book is quite recent. It cover a lot of things in more than 600 pages. So I think it's natural that an errata starts to appear.

Thank you.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
While OS X is generally a "single-user" system, having . in your PATH in any UNIX is considered risky, because someone could place a dangerous executable named something like ls in some random directory on the system. Once you cd into that directory, when you do an ls to take a look maybe your home directory is going to be wiped out, etc. In the case of OS X there's probably not a "someone" that would do this like they might on a multi-user UNIX, but it's just "best practice". Typing ./ before commands isn't too hard, and you're likely going to be hitting up arrow to get to the command in your history more often than manually typing it.

It's a bit disappointing that this recommendation would be published. Hopefully no one breaks into your system, but if they got in via some under-privileged account, but dropped an executable somewhere that you (using a privileged account) might run then a pretty low-impact exploit becomes much more dangerous.

-Lee

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
While OS X is generally a "single-user" system, having . in your PATH in any UNIX is considered risky, because someone could place a dangerous executable named something like ls in some random directory on the system. Once you cd into that directory, when you do an ls to take a look maybe your home directory is going to be wiped out, etc. In the case of OS X there's probably not a "someone" that would do this like they might on a multi-user UNIX, but it's just "best practice". Typing ./ before commands isn't too hard, and you're likely going to be hitting up arrow to get to the command in your history more often than manually typing it.

It's a bit disappointing that this recommendation would be published. Hopefully no one breaks into your system, but if they got in via some under-privileged account, but dropped an executable somewhere that you (using a privileged account) might run then a pretty low-impact exploit becomes much more dangerous.

-Lee

Thanks Lee for the recommendation, clarified a lot.

Right at this moment I could discover why .profile didn't worked initially:

From this Unix FAQ http://hayne.net/MacDev/Notes/unixFAQ.html#shellStartup

Bash Startup Files
When a "login shell" starts up, it reads the file "/etc/profile" and then "~/.bash_profile" or "~/.bash_login" or "~/.profile" (whichever one exists - it only reads one of these, checking for them in the order mentioned).

After running a ls -A, I discovered there was indeed a file in my home directory named .bash_login. It contained only one line, adding php directory to the PATH.

So, it was blocking to read .profile. Once I added .bash_profile, this last one was chose to be read.

To make everything work as expected, I just added the same line in .bash_login to .profile and deleted that file.

Thank you a lot for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.