Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Does anyone know of a good program to copy DVDs to your hard drive with DVD quality video? I travel a lot and want to put movies on my Macbook so I don't have to carry around DVDs and waste battery life by using the DVD-rom.

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Okay so I copied a DVD using each piece of software. I like handbrake beter but the problem is when I click on the movie it doesn't play...any ideas why? I encoded it in mpeg-4 with 100% quality.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
DwightSchrute said:
Okay so I copied a DVD using each piece of software. I like handbrake beter but the problem is when I click on the movie it doesn't play...any ideas why? I encoded it in mpeg-4 with 100% quality.
what player are you using?

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
That VLC player didn't work...I guess I'll just try using a differnet encoding method (probably the wrong terminology but you guys know what I mean).

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
New York
I was just wondering... if you rip the dvd in mpeg 4 format, can it be viewed using quicktime or transfered to an ipod and played there as well?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
thugpoet22 said:
I was just wondering... if you rip the dvd in mpeg 4 format, can it be viewed using quicktime or transfered to an ipod and played there as well?

If you use the right settings, yes it can. Apple states the MPEG-4 and H.264 settings required for iPod playback on the website. Currently, 640x480 H.264 encoded in Handbrake won't work because Apple changed the baseline profile they were using but the previous (320x240, 600kbps video, 128kbps audio, H.264, baseline profile, .mp4 file) settings should still work. MPEG-4 settings are 480 pixels horizontal resolution, up to 2.5mbps total bit rate including 128kbps audio.

Once Handbrake is updated to support the new requirements you should be able to get some stunning results for your movies as well as put them on your iPod and watch them all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.