Progress of DivX on AppleTV take 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wwooden, Feb 20, 2008.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I know that the first AppleTV software was hacked to allow DivX and other file formats, has Take2 been cracked yet?
  2. JoelT00 macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If so, this would be a huge motivator in getting one.
  3. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    West Bend, WI
    I don't understand. Does that mean Divx is now supported?
  4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Oct 20, 2007

It has been for a good while if you dont mind hacking your AppleTV.
  5. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2007
    This is probably a stupid question but if you don't know a lot about computers is it easier to just covert all your video...?

I would love to get an Apple TV- and would buy one tomorrow if it could (easily) play the dozens of avi and divx files I have.
  6. cdownton macrumors member

Jan 18, 2008
    I wondered these things too - I'm a bit of a novice. Like the guys say, you can hack your appletv so that it'll play most things. If you don't want to do that (or like me you think it's a bit of a risk given my level of expertise), you can convert your divx, xvid etc files.
    Best thing for converting is Visualhub, which you pay for, or there's a freeware program by the same company available. Visual Hub is pretty good, although it's not super-quick and some files just don't seem to work (although I didn't persevere).
    Good luck whatever you choose - it's still a great product. My friends were so impressed they thought just the photo screensaver was the whole product!