Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I know that the first AppleTV software was hacked to allow DivX and other file formats, has Take2 been cracked yet?

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
This is probably a stupid question but if you don't know a lot about computers is it easier to just covert all your video...?

I would love to get an Apple TV- and would buy one tomorrow if it could (easily) play the dozens of avi and divx files I have.

cdownton

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I wondered these things too - I'm a bit of a novice. Like the guys say, you can hack your appletv so that it'll play most things. If you don't want to do that (or like me you think it's a bit of a risk given my level of expertise), you can convert your divx, xvid etc files.
Best thing for converting is Visualhub, which you pay for, or there's a freeware program by the same company available. Visual Hub is pretty good, although it's not super-quick and some files just don't seem to work (although I didn't persevere).
Good luck whatever you choose - it's still a great product. My friends were so impressed they thought just the photo screensaver was the whole product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.