Progress of DivX on AppleTV take 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wwooden, Feb 20, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

wwooden

I know that the first AppleTV software was hacked to allow DivX and other file formats, has Take2 been cracked yet?

2. macrumors newbie

JoelT00

If so, this would be a huge motivator in getting one.

3. macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

4. macrumors regular

I don't understand. Does that mean Divx is now supported?

5. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

It has been for a good while if you dont mind hacking your AppleTV.

6. macrumors regular

This is probably a stupid question but if you don't know a lot about computers is it easier to just covert all your video...?

I would love to get an Apple TV- and would buy one tomorrow if it could (easily) play the dozens of avi and divx files I have.

7. macrumors member

I wondered these things too - I'm a bit of a novice. Like the guys say, you can hack your appletv so that it'll play most things. If you don't want to do that (or like me you think it's a bit of a risk given my level of expertise), you can convert your divx, xvid etc files.
    Best thing for converting is Visualhub, which you pay for, or there's a freeware program by the same company available. Visual Hub is pretty good, although it's not super-quick and some files just don't seem to work (although I didn't persevere).
    Good luck whatever you choose - it's still a great product. My friends were so impressed they thought just the photo screensaver was the whole product!