properties

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by liptonlover, Nov 1, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I didn't have to learn properties before, which was fine because I didn't understand them anyways. But Apple seems to be using them more and more to set/get class attributes, especially for the iPhone. I've been going through apple's doc, I understand what they are. But I don't know how to use them. I know how to declare them in a header file, but how do I then access them from a different class?
    Thanks, Nate

2. macrumors regular

Using them is the easy part. Lets take the frame property of a UIView

Code:
    // These are the same
    CGRect frame = [myView frame];
    CGRect frame = myView.frame;

// So are these
    [myView setFrame:someFrame];
    myView.frame = someFrame;

Using @synthesize generates getters and setters in the above format, and setting and getting properties actually call these methods. So the method setFrame: gets called with you the "myView.frame = someFrame" syntax.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that's a great start. I almost understand all that. But just to make sure, can you please show me how to solve my specific situation? I have a custom class that I'm using as an appcontroller. It has an outlet for my UIView. The UIView class has an opacity property, and I want to change it to .5. How do I do this, exactly? I'm still not clear on that.

Thanks, Nate

4. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

view.opacity =0.5;

or

[view setOpacity:0.5];

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow... that's easy. Thanks!

I bumped into one problem though.

this works...
    Code:
    [view setAlpha:0.0];
    but this doesn't.
    Code:
    view.alpha=0.0;
    I get the following error.
    error: request for member 'alpha' in something not a structure or union.

So the problem is solved, but now I want to know what went wrong.
    Thanks, Nate

6. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Assuming that view is a UIView that should work.

Are you linking against the UIKit ?

I assume that you are as all the Classes that you create in XCode are linked against the UKit automatically.

Top of the header file:

#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's definitely linked... besides if the first way of doing it worked, doesn't that mean it's linked anyways?

8. macrumors regular

This usually has to do with a variable that is declared of a type that doesnt support that property. For example, settings the value of slider, but that slider is referenced by a variable declared as a UIView. It will let you call a method to set it, but not a property. Without seeing the rest of your code, that's the best help I can give you.

But really, you dont HAVE to use the property syntax. If you feel more comfortable, you can use the getter and setter method created for you by @sythensize