Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
So now that Proteus is free, is it any reason to switch to from Adium? What does one app have that other does not?

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Just read the MacUpdate and VersionTracker reviews for both. They will show you the pros and cons of each. Also, it appears that Adium has better ratings than Proteus.

On Google, you may find some luck by searching for 'adium vs. proteus'.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i didn't know that Proteus was free now... i wanted to go to Defaultware's homepage, but it won't load. so i cant tell you the differences between them just yet.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
i didn't know that Proteus was free now... i wanted to go to Defaultware's homepage, but it won't load. so i cant tell you the differences between them just yet.
Probably getting hammered.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
PlaceofDis said:

Same here, won't work, Well I think I will stick to AdiumX. am happy with it!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
cwedl said:
Same here, won't work, Well I think I will stick to AdiumX. am happy with it!

i'm always willing to see what the competition has to offer. especially if they are both free... ;)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Defaultware's website is apparently experiencing an abnormally high load toady. I visit it every couple days, and normally it's fast. It started getting slow this morning after the announcement was made, and now I can't access it at all. Give it some time and it'll be back.

I can't really say exactly why, but I like Proteus much better than Adium. Enough better that I paid for Proteus a long time ago, and will continue to use it. I've used the newest releases of Adium, and I just don't like the interface as well. I'm glad that Proteus is free now, that way people can evaluate the two based on their merits rather than price.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Gary King said:
Just read the MacUpdate and VersionTracker reviews for both. They will show you the pros and cons of each. Also, it appears that Adium has better ratings than Proteus.

On Google, you may find some luck by searching for 'adium vs. proteus'.

yeah but I trust the people on this board more :D

I asked too because as people have stated the website is not loading so I wanted to see if this is a great product. I am definitely going to try it out.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
50thVert said:
im a fan of Adium

...Because?

I've been using AdiumX for a while, a big fan of the tabbed IM windows, but sending files in AdiumX never seems to work.

From the Proteus site it says:

Proteus supports drag-and-drop file transfers for MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Jabber. We are constantly working to make file transfers that much better in future versions.

Which sounds promising. I'm downloading it right now :).

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Well, I downloaded and tried it out, but decided against it. It's got some good polish elements to it, and in some ways feels more integrated than Adium, but I'll be sticking with Adium because:

Tabbed chat window is necessary. A drawer just doesn't cut it.
Very customizable, but not as customizable as Adium.
I like OSS.

It was a close call though, and maybe some day I'll end up using it.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
cycocelica said:
So now that Proteus is free, is it any reason to switch to from Adium? What does one app have that other does not?

Why are you saying that Proteus is free? According to the defaultware site it is still shareware with a $15 registration fee.

evands

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Decatur, GA
DerChef: Please contact us via the Support & Development tab on the Adium site about your crashes... I'm not aware of any way that Adium (or any other application not using mach_inject) can crash the Dock but will be happy to help determine the source of your problems.

Re: file transfer: Note that Proteus 4.x uses the same protocol library, libgaim, that Adiuim 0.8x does (though its version of libgaim is out of date... and in my biased opinion has a degree of moral repugnancy since it is using GPL code within a closed-source application via an effective loophole in the GPL). Proteus 4.x's Yahoo and MSN file transfer is identical to Adium 0.8x's, and its AIM file transfer is worse because it does not contain updates to the code which Adium has had for several releases.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Aarow said:
...Because?

I've been using AdiumX for a while, a big fan of the tabbed IM windows, but sending files in AdiumX never seems to work.

Adium's file transfers works like a charm. I use Jabber, ICQ and MSN accounts
and I use file transfers on a regular basis. And it never failed once.
This worked for Adium-to-Adium, Adium-to-MSN Messenger (windows),
Adium-to-ICQ official client (Windows), Adium-to-Gaim (GNU/Linux), Adium-
to-kopete (GNU/linux) and finally Adium-to-Gtalk(Windows).
AdiumX is a very solid piece of software, stable, increadibly cutomizable,
and FAST.

EDIT: it looks like evands (main AdiumX developer) himself is replying here :D

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
i love adium because of the ability to have multiple accounts. i know that proteus offers that as well, so i downloaded it and i am going to stick with Adium. maybe it is because i have used it so much and just love all of the "bells and whistles" that users create. I just wish that Adium had webcam support for MSN, AIM, and Y!IM.
I am the only mac users out of all of my contacts that have webcam and would like to take advantage of video chat without having to use AIM...erm...iChat

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm a proteus fan boy. I won't lie.

To my eyes it looks much nicer - especially when you fiddle with the .nibs and make it unified, it's super sexy unified. It has a better a sound set, and better default emoticons set (yes, I know Adium's are changeable). Also, even though Proteus has far less extras, they have nicer looking ones then that are available on Adium, better message window themes and nicer looking status icons. Again this is all my opinion. Oh, and my number one reason for not liking Adium is the tabs, hate them. When you are taking to more then 5 people you don't know who is who in the tabs because they are scrunched tight. The drawer eliminates this problem, and you can easily have 10+ open at one time.

picture11eg.png

One thing I do know however, is that Justin, the creator of Proteus, and the person responsible for how it looks today was hired by Apple to work on iChat, not Adium's devs.

evands

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Decatur, GA
As a general rule I don't respond directly to the Proteus v. Adium debates -- arguing for your own product is silly when the correct response is just to make it superior beyond argument. The tabs 'complaint' above, though, is probably not one that will ever be addressed within the program; enjoy your drawer if that's your thing, please. :)

rickvanr said:
One thing I do know however, is that Justin, the creator of Proteus, and the person responsible for how it looks today was hired by Apple to work on iChat, not Adium's devs.
I will, however, respond to this. Justin applied to Apple. Adam Iser, the original Adium lead developer, is now with Amazon, because that's where he chose to be out of several great options. I'm in medical school 'cause that's where I want to be. Ad hominem is probably not the best way to take this sort of discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.