Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gernb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2002
Anyone know what the delay is? It was supposed to be out by year end. I haven't seen anything since November.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Well, I'm hoping it comes in at MWSF , I'd like a demo, because I want to start doing stuff with audio, its fun as. But I hope they release a beta or a demo for MWSF

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
nah April

I got the MBOX from XMAS and was stoked to hear that my friend at electronicmusic.com would be getting a promo copy in Jan. But industry friends have been told that it may not be until April...

Bummer...

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Later is better

The rep said its a moving targets b/c new bugs are being fixed and discovered everyday. With an installed base like ProTools, everything has to be right before they can unleash it. Have they even approved the MDD powermacs yet?

But I feel you as there are many of us who do want to "play" with it.:D

(And March/April is very realistic. Certainly not next week.)

mysterydork

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2003
Don't know what this means...

But I have a copy of ProTools 6 for TDM & LE that was ripped from a CD in November. Obviously this doesn't speak to the question of when they will publicly release anything, but I don't know that they are as far off as some people think.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Pro-audio apps are feeling the burn of OS X in the biggest way. Without a standard for audio and MIDI, many companies created their own formats. All of these companies are now forced to rewrite their apps to subscribe to Apple's Core Audio and Core MIDI. This has been a contributing factor to the lack of pro-audio apps for X.

In regards to DigiDesign, they promised us PT and didn't deliver. If they are finding bugs and such then I commend them for waiting to release a functional product rather than corrupt their user's systems. However, I fear that they simply didn't get on the ball for development as soon as they could have.

Dan

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by alset
Pro-audio apps are feeling the burn of OS X in the biggest way. Without a standard for audio and MIDI, many companies created their own formats. All of these companies are now forced to rewrite their apps to subscribe to Apple's Core Audio and Core MIDI. This has been a contributing factor to the lack of pro-audio apps for X.
Dan

There's a great article about that in January's Macworld if you want to read it.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by kenkooler

There's a great article about that in January's Macworld if you want to read it.

There is also a good article about this in last month's ElectronicMusician if you can still find it. It has a headline about OS X on the cover.

Dan

Tyler Durden

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2002
Toronto
Perhaps they announced for the release of PT 6 to be before the new year, only because at the time Apple had stated that new macs as of jan 03 wouldn't boot os 9.
Since this deadline has been changed to accomodate quark amongst others,
would it not be fair to assume that they (digi) are just giving themselves more time?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
We run PT all over a 20 studio complex at Thames Valley Uni in London. Digi have told our techs it'll be avalible form the end of Feb, but that's a personal comment and not a publicity shot, we've been told the same thing B4 and it's stalled, apparently there are sync issues and some plug-in timing problems...

Let em work I say, I need it right first time, reportedly part of the decision to buy emagic was to do with the sync problems undr OSX, I guess Stevie just wanted to help his li'l German buddies out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.