Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I stumbled upon one today. Unfortunatly they dont have the adapter and cannot test it. I didnt put up the link(i think it's prohibited here?).

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-POWERBOOK-MAC-LAPTOP-G4-G3-15-Screen-PARTS_W0QQitemZ290010476452QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A few things that tipped me off:

The lettering under the display reads "PowerBook", like the Pismo

The two included batterys reads(on the first) "PANASONIC P12 DVT BATTERY SAMPLE 10/5/2000

and the second reads "Sony P12 T3 EVT2 Battery Sample 09/7/00 Not for resale Do not puncture or incinerate"

By the way, the model#is M5884, indicating it's the 400/500MHz models

Then, the apple logo on the top is like the G3 series. When it's opened, it faces upside down, rather than right side up.

Clearly these features are unique, and the fact that the batteries are from 2000 makes it a prototype, later reworked to what we know today.

What's something like this worth?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
One of the pictures shows that the screen case has either been tampered with or damaged. I wonder if the Apple is upside down because the case was put together incorrectly?

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
emw said:
One of the pictures shows that the screen case has either been tampered with or damaged. I wonder if the Apple is upside down because the case was put together incorrectly?
If you pay close attention, you can see screws along the top edge of the display, It wouldnt have been there on the bottom. Either way, the other differences do show something about it....

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
emw said:
That's a very good point.

Beyond that, to me it looks like a stock Rev. A TiBook. (Though the batteries are weird... both replacements, perhaps?)

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
michaelrjohnson said:
That's a very good point.

Beyond that, to me it looks like a stock Rev. A TiBook. (Though the batteries are weird... both replacements, perhaps?)

keep in mind that prototypes do look like the originals sometimes. The top case has certain features on it anyway that would prevent it from fitting the wrong way. Then, it would typically share certain features of the direct predecessor, the pismo woulnt it, i mean, the similarities(lettering,apple logo,etc) cant be a coincidence. Also, how could replacement batteries be from 2000, and marked as "Not for resale"?

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Well, the title of the auction does say "APPLE POWERBOOK MAC LAPTOP G4 / G3 15" Screen - PARTS". Sounds to me like it's a G4 notebook that's screen has later been replaced with a G3 screen.

Doesn't explain the batteries, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.