Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iConcept

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
UK
Does anyone else experience issues with HomeKit devices when downloading things via the PS4?

For example, if I'm downloading a game or game updates, all of my Hue lighting becomes unresponsive through the Home app, but are perfectly fine through the Hue app. If I pause or cancel the downloads, Home is able to control everything again within a minute or so.

All other devices such as iPhones, iPads, Macs and AppleTV (streaming services) are never affected, so it appears not to be a WiFi bandwidth issue, just wondering if anyone knew if they use the same ports or anything?

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
I’ve noticed the PS4 is a bandwidth hog. Now I don’t have the fastest internet connection (Around 50mbps), however I do have a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi and whenever the PS4 is downloading something all other devices on the network slow to a complete crawl and become unresponsive. When pausing or completing the downloads the network returns to normal.

It’s the oddest thing!

Reactions: iConcept

iConcept

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
UK
I’ve noticed the PS4 is a bandwidth hog.

Perhaps that's what it is then, I've just never noticed it until I fit HomeKit devices. What's strangest to me is it doesn't affect my internet speeds (approx 40-50mbps) only the internal network, and it doesn't matter if the PS4 is using wired or wireless connection. Or maybe it just hogs the router resources? I don't have a clever enough router for monitoring internal traffic.

Thanks for your input, it's reassuring to know others notice an effect too.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Hmm, my network is slow as hell sometimes and I've never been able to figure out the problem, but reading this makes me think. Next time it's slow, I'm gonna check if the PS4 is downloading something to see he's the culprit.

iConcept

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
UK
Next time it's slow, I'm gonna check if the PS4 is downloading something to see he's the culprit.

Be interesting to know if it does affect other specific things. I still only notice it with HomeKit devices, but for instance I had a Division 2 update a few weeks ago when I first got it and it was 40GB, took hours and my lights/heating/HomePod were just unresponsive.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Playstation can completely saturate my internet bandwidth. I'm happy that I can download a game at max speed however the AirPort Extreme doesn't have priorities (at least that I'm aware of) so anything else that uses the internet is practically unusable. Apple device updates are sometimes the same too but usually the update files are no where near as large as a PS4 game.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Tested HomeKit (Hey Siri via the HomePod) while the PS4 was downloading an update and worked fine...

iConcept

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
UK
Thanks for the feedback all, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it and download updates in the dark. Perhaps my router prioritises certain traffic or ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.