Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these? Can you tell us if the reduction of fan noise is very noticable? (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a good game to test this!)

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, the Destiny model is one. The fan is a lot quieter, tho it will ramp up on heavier loads, but it doesn't seem to be as loud, or last as long. When I played more intensive games on my launch day PS4, I had to turn up the volume on my receiver to drown out the noise, not having to do that now a days.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these? Can you tell us if the reduction of fan noise is very noticable? (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a good game to test this!)
Does you earlier model make a lot if noise? I can't here mine. Not sure the model, but have had it over a year now, so assume it is the original.

Reactions: Cpt. Gilgamesh

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
The PS4 I have (not sure of the DoP) is super quiet already. Also, I can't imagine how they could make that thing any cheaper. Didn't realize they revised the hardware

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
So is it worth trading to the new cuh-1200 series from a 1000 series for reduced fan noise? I think I can make it happen for very little out of pocket, maybe $40, and get a fresh 1-year warranty and Uncharted Remastered game out of the deal.

Interesting review here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

While less power and quieter, my only concern is new one runs a little hotter.

On the fence. My unit is going strong and I only occasionally notice my unit's fans, which sound like jet engines under heavy load, over the surround sound game audio.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
So is it worth trading to the new cuh-1200 series from a 1000 series for reduced fan noise? I think I can make it happen for very little out of pocket, maybe $40, and get a fresh 1-year warranty and Uncharted Remastered game out of the deal.

Interesting review here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

While less power and quieter, my only concern is new one runs a little hotter.

On the fence. My unit is going strong and I only occasionally notice my unit's fans, which sound like jet engines under heavy load, over the surround sound game audio.

Great review.

Well, if the noise bothers you, replace it, otherwise I would just wait for a major redesign probably within a year or year and a half to the "slim" model.

Reactions: 0098386

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Can anyone tell me if this newer model PlayStation 4 is now the default one sold in U.S. stores, like Best Buy? On Amazon, it's unclear what model PS4 comes with each bundle, save for this one: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-5...qid=1448484486&sr=1-10&keywords=PlayStation+4, which explicitly says the machine is CUH-1215a.

Amazon may be a crap shoot as there are old models still out there. The model on the box should say CUH-12xx for the new ones and CUH-10xx for the old ones.

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Amazon may be a crap shoot as there are old models still out there. The model on the box should say CUH-12xx for the new ones and CUH-10xx for the old ones.

So best bet then would be to purchase in person? Any reason to think Best Buy would still be selling the older model?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I could buy a new PS4 for 275 € with the trophy coupon I just got (75€ off Amazon.de). I could sell my current model (20th anniversary edition) for a lot more than that. Question is, when is the NEO coming out? Should I use the deal to get quieter PS4 now, only to trade up again for the NEO in a few months? The only reason I am considering this is that my PS4 is REALLY LOUD.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I could buy a new PS4 for 275 € with the trophy coupon I just got (75€ off Amazon.de). I could sell my current model (20th anniversary edition) for a lot more than that. Question is, when is the NEO coming out? Should I use the deal to get quieter PS4 now, only to trade up again for the NEO in a few months? The only reason I am considering this is that my PS4 is REALLY LOUD.

Rumors is that the PS4 NEO will be out Holidays 2016 - I would wait at this point.

Your 20th Anniversary Edition will always hold its value so no pressure to sell...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I think you are right, but I pulled the trigger anyway because that coupon was only valid a few days. :p And I am sure there will be a trade-in upgrade program for the NEO. Using the anniversary edition for that would be nonsense!

Now the great news: The 1216A series is REALLY quiet compared to the old model!!! I fired up Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Bloodborne last night. Both games would turn my old PS4 into an unbearable jet engine. Seriously blow drier loud, I'm starting to wonder now if maybe something was wrong with it. It really hampered my enjoyment of quiet games like Rapture. The new model only has a low hum when it gets hot. I could barely make it out on the couch 3 meters away. Will check Uncharted 4 tonight, and if it stays quiet, I'll transfer my data tomorrow. How long does the full backup/restore process using an external hd take? Is it a 5-10 hour process like the PS3?

It's like waking up from a bad dream, I am happy I did this. The anniversary edition will go back into its original box for now. Either I will sell it this Christmas season or hold onto it as a collector's item. Haven't quite decided yet.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I think you are right, but I pulled the trigger anyway because that coupon was only valid a few days. :p And I am sure there will be a trade-in upgrade program for the NEO. Using the anniversary edition for that would be nonsense!

Now the great news: The 1216A series is REALLY quiet compared to the old model!!! I fired up Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Bloodborne last night. Both games would turn my old PS4 into an unbearable jet engine. Seriously blow drier loud, I'm starting to wonder now if maybe something was wrong with it. It really hampered my enjoyment of quiet games like Rapture. The new model only has a low hum when it gets hot. I could barely make it out on the couch 3 meters away. Will check Uncharted 4 tonight, and if it stays quiet, I'll transfer my data tomorrow. How long does the full backup/restore process using an external hd take? Is it a 5-10 hour process like the PS3?

It's like waking up from a bad dream, I am happy I did this. The anniversary edition will go back into its original box for now. Either I will sell it this Christmas season or hold onto it as a collector's item. Haven't quite decided yet.

So you have a 1216A?

I remember when the revision first came out people were saying it was only very slightly quieter.

I'm wondering if you have yet a newer model...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Bloodborne [...] would turn my old PS4 into an unbearable jet engine. Seriously blow drier loud, I'm starting to wonder now if maybe something was wrong with it.
Bloodborne made the fans go on mine (CUH-1002A), but it certainly didn't approach anything resembling a blow dryer.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So you have a 1216A?

I remember when the revision first came out people were saying it was only very slightly quieter.

I'm wondering if you have yet a newer model...

1216A confirmed.

I think there was some spread in the launch series. The first black one I had was fairly quiet. I sold it when I got the anniversary model. That one was significantly louder. Seems like it got worse over time too, but maybe games just became more demanding.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
For future reference:

A full PS4 backup to external hd of ~600GB takes about 8 hours. The restore process to the new hd takes about 5 hours.

It transfers everything, game data, save files, user data, etc. Worked without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.