Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ion-fee-has-gone-from-0-to-25-since-mid-2015/
AT&T has raised its non-contract phone activation and upgrade fee from $20 to $25, the latest increase for a fee that didn't even exist until July 2015.

As the mobile carrier switched from contracts to device payment plans, AT&T initially did not charge an activation and upgrade fee for customers who brought their own phone or bought one from AT&T on an installment plan. But in July 2015, AT&T started charging a $15 activation fee to customers who don't sign two-year contracts. (AT&T also raised the activation/upgrade fee for contract customers from $40 to $45 in July 2015.)

The activation fee for non-contract customers was raised from $15 to $20 in April 2016 and was just raised again to $25, PhoneScoop reported today. The $25 fee is charged for new activations or upgrades when customers purchase devices on installment agreements, AT&T says. Customers who bring their own phone to the network are charged the $25 fee when they activate a new line of service, but not when they upgrade phones on an existing line

Your thoughts? At what point is the nickel & diming customers with bogus fees too much?

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Reactions: Applejuiced

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Your thoughts? At what point is the nickel & diming customers with bogus fees too much?
Why should they stop doing that if people are still giving them money, willingly?
It is easy to demonize companies, but companies are only doing what's best for them, and looks like for AT&T and its subscribers, the fees are still below their customers' limit.

Reactions: willmtaylor

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I switched from AT&T to Verizon in October last year because Verizon actually offered more data for less money on the plans I compared. The coverage is better and I was able to take advantage of some great trade in deals for our old iPhones. Unfortunately, Verizon is charging this same $30 upgrade fee now, which is annoying but not terrible since it's an additional $10 every year or two depending on how often I upgrade.

Reactions: timeconsumer

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Right. Except, their coverage is about half as good. You get what you pay for.

That's clearly a personal opinion. I switched from ATT to TMO and the coverage seems to me about the same everywhere I have been except in Death Valley, which fortunately I was only there for a day. Even then they roamed on another network.

Also in NYC in my condo with ATT I always had 2 bars. With TMO I have 5 bars. So stating that TMOs coverage is half as good is BS!

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
And they will continue to lose more subscribers.
Setting more free to go without paying an ETF :D
Keep it up AT&T.
Im so glad I left them.
[doublepost=1485033194][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, Verizon is charging this same $30 upgrade fee now, which is annoying but not terrible since it's an additional $10 every year or two depending on how often I upgrade.

Verizon and AT&T are always copying each other fees and coming out with new and clever ways on how to provide less and charge more.
Not surprised at all with them ripping off their customers.

Reactions: ray737

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
There is no AT&T upgrade fee if you buy your device in the Apple store. I did not pay one.

This thread is misleading.
Except it is not misleading at all. AT&T calls it an upgrade fee themselves, and now charges more. The OP is just stating the facts. If the thread had been saying that AT&T charges you $30 to switch to a new phone I would agree with you, as that is a more ambiguous statement. However, the thread does not state this. Granted people do question whether or not they will pay the upgrade fees because of the wording the carrier uses. If the carriers were more clear, stating: "if you upgrade your phone through one of our plans we will charge you $X more", that would be better but paints them in a worse light than just a plain/generic upgrade fee increase statement.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
After years we dumped the two remaining unlimited data plans. We were only using abut 7 go max. My new family plan decrease my bill from $275 down to $165. I swore I would never do it but it was becoming a waste for me.

$110 savings for our service is good! No regrets.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I was on the unlimited data plan. Switched it with this price increase. Paid the remaining balance on my next program and went to a prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text and 4gb data. Went from $120/month after 20% discount, to 43ish a month no discount. One line. Still with att. Debating on switching carriers when the iPhone 8 comes out

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
You would think AT&T would try more competitive pricing schemes rather than copying Verizon if they are hemorrhaging customers, but to each their own...

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I usually get my upgrade fee waived by at&t every year just by asking them in the live chat.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.