Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can there be an issue if a Mac owner posts the serialNo of his Apple product publicly to the Forum?

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I would not do it, as someone nefarious could use it for a hackintosh setup.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I mean you would probably be safe; but as a proud hackintosher before getting my MacPro, nobody would ever show their serial number in posts.

Your machine's serial number is pretty much how you check on AppleCare status online, etc etc. I just feel that publically showing your machine's serial number is just not the best idea.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I tend to agree with not usually posting a ser number, and I can't think of a good reason to post a serial number...
Typically, a response to a serial number will suggest that the serial number be removed or disguised.Although, I have seen serial numbers that are posted occasionally, and I have searched for that serial number to help an OP verify which Apple device they were asking about. Works well if the Mac won't power on, and the poster needs help with a replacement power supply, etc. In the past, I have offered help, and used a PM to suggest that the OP post a serial number in a PM. That would be relatively safe, I think.

But, @zoran , why do you ask about serial numbers?

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.