Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
OK, I know you've all probably heard this before, but I just added 1GB of RAM to a stock 17" Intel iMac (512MB), and it makes a huge difference.

If you were thinking, "aw, is it really worth it? I'll just get by with 512," think again! :D

10.4 gobbles RAM, Rosetta gobbles RAM, Safari gobbles RAM, etc., etc.

Try having an Office app open, your e-mail client, and, say, your main work app (i.e. Flash, Photoshop, Xcode, etc.) And don't forget all those fun Expose widgets--they may not be visible all the time, but they still want RAM.

Just do it. Got to get that RAM. Go on. Buy it. It's calling you.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
RAM - the best upgrade

Amen, brother. Rosetta does eat that RAM. Try running Parallel's Workstation software. It's a pig, too.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I, uh... "third" this. I had 512MB in my Intel Mac Mini, and it beachballed like crazy. When I got a solid 1GB in there, it flies like a totally new machine! Once I get 2GB in there, nothing'll stop me!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
You speak the truth! RAM is probably the best upgrade you can give a computer, not counting the video card if you're into gaming. When I went from 512 MB to 1.5 GB in my PowerBook, I noticed a big difference. And what's fun is launching an insane amount of applications at once and seeing how your system handles it. :D

iSee

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Kingsly said:
*buys more ram*

(when I put my 1GB stick in the MBP can I then put the 512 from the MBP into my iMac CD?)

I'm 95.5% sure you can. Actually, I'm 95.6% sure. :D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Kingsly said:
*buys more ram*

(when I put my 1GB stick in the MBP can I then put the 512 from the MBP into my iMac CD?)

That should work with no problem for you- they both use the same type and speed of RAM. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i need to get more ram, i was going to buy a one gig stick, but since i have a Rev B. iMac G5, its probably better for me to buy a 512 to match the 512 that is in there already, or buy two 1 Gig Sticks (out of my range right now) so... just waiting for another good paycheck and its goning to be bought. :D

bdugan

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
is it easy to install your own ram? I have a mbp and am considering upgrading from 512 mb to a gig. Also, whats the deal with the warranty if you change it, and whats the best brand to buy?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
bdugan said:
is it easy to install your own ram? I have a mbp and am considering upgrading from 512 mb to a gig. Also, whats the deal with the warranty if you change it, and whats the best brand to buy?

in a MBP it should be easy if its designed the same as the PowerBook... just a cover on the bottom of the machine to take off. and it won't affect your warranty at all as it is a user-upgradable part. however, be sure to buy from a dealer that offers a lifetime warranty and is sure of the compatibility with your machine, Crucial RAM is one of the oft mentioned places to get it around here, and such there is a link to them at the top of the forum pages.

bdugan

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
in a MBP it should be easy if its designed the same as the PowerBook... just a cover on the bottom of the machine to take off. and it won't affect your warranty at all as it is a user-upgradable part. however, be sure to buy from a dealer that offers a lifetime warranty and is sure of the compatibility with your machine, Crucial RAM is one of the oft mentioned places to get it around here, and such there is a link to them at the top of the forum pages.

thanks. one more question. if i want to uprgrade from 512 to 1gb, do I buy a 512 mb ram? is it possible to buy a 1gb ram stick and use the 512 already installed and have 1.5gb?

Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
bdugan said:
thanks. one more question. if i want to uprgrade from 512 to 1gb, do I buy a 512 mb ram? is it possible to buy a 1gb ram stick and use the 512 already installed and have 1.5gb?

Correct on both counts. The MBP has two RAM slots...it appears that your configuration has one slot with a 512 MB chip and one empty slot. You can buy a second 512 MB chip or a 1 GB chip to put in the second slot, giving you a total of 1 or 1.5 GB of RAM, respectively.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
bdugan said:

Thanks

edit: beaten!

you have two slots in your MBP, so if you want to upgrade to 1gig, all you need is another 512 slot, since you have one 512 SODIMM installed you an also buy a 1GB SODIMM and have 1.5GB of memory. depends how much you can afford though, as i think the 1Gig sticks are hefty still.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Memorable pricing

PlaceofDis said:
edit: beaten!
i think the 1Gig sticks are hefty still.

The last price I saw was $113. That's not too bad, but you are paying a premium for the 1GB. The 512s are right at $50.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
iSee said:
OK, I know you've all probably heard this before, but I just added 1GB of RAM to a stock 17" Intel iMac (512MB), and it makes a huge difference.

If you were thinking, "aw, is it really worth it? I'll just get by with 512," think again! :D

10.4 gobbles RAM, Rosetta gobbles RAM, Safari gobbles RAM, etc., etc.

Try having an Office app open, your e-mail client, and, say, your main work app (i.e. Flash, Photoshop, Xcode, etc.) And don't forget all those fun Expose widgets--they may not be visible all the time, but they still want RAM.

Just do it. Got to get that RAM. Go on. Buy it. It's calling you.
Agreed.

My 16k ZX Spectrum was pretty much a useless computer (only a few games work on it) until I got the 32kb RAM pack, and suddenly I was opened up to a whole new world of goodies.

Totally worth the 50 pounds.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Amen! I'd recommend at least a gig on ANY computer, mac or PC. The intel macs especially benefit from it.

bloogersnigen

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
Wherever the water flows
iPhoto

My iPhoto library took 3.5 minutes to open (1.8 dual g5 1 gig (used to) ram) now I added 2 more (for a total of 3) and it takes 8.5 seconds. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Its so fast.

bdugan

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
dextertangocci said:
Very clever.:) If you match your RAM, it is a lot more efficant.

so if i buy a 1gb ram stick to go with my already installed 512 stick, it wont be as efficient? will that at least me more effecient that two 512 sticks?

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
I don't know if 2gb of ram made a difference? That's because I got my 3rd party ram before my iMac came in. I never even used the stock 512. Well I lied. I started it up first, and once I knew everything was good I installed the ram. I've been very happy with my 2gb.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
bdugan said:
so if i buy a 1gb ram stick to go with my already installed 512 stick, it wont be as efficient? will that at least me more effecient that two 512 sticks?

1GB + 512MB is a LOT more efficient than dual 512MB. Go for as much as you can afford.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
ram is really expensive for the intel macs. I just can't afford any right now, even though I can tell that both my imac and macbook pro are starving. Running CS2 sure is fun....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.