Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I inquired recently why when dragging widgets out they didn't animate with the 'puddle effect' on my 1.25GHz eMac as they did on my 1.42 GHz eMac and I was told that the reason was that the 32Mb card on the 1.25 didn't support the puddle but the 64Mb card did.

However while browsing through my screen savers recently I found this, puddle screen saver which I had forgotton about. It is identical to the puddle animation effect for the widgets and it works on my 1.25 with the 32Mb card.

So I am a bit confused now.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
That puddle screen saver is just an effect. The dashboard ripple is core image, which processes the effect. They're different things entirely.

I don't think your eMac with 32MB VRAM will support the ripple, but not 100% sure about it. The screen saver's effects are not core image though.

Go to your Apple menu, click About this Mac, and click More Info. That should open the System Profiler. In there, it will say "Core Image Capable: Yes or No". Then you will know for sure.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dogbone said:
Yes the widget animation is not supported on the 1.24 eMac.

What exactly is the difference between an effect produced by core image and the exact same effect produced by er... an effect?

it isn't produced by core image

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
dogbone said:
What exactly is the difference between an effect produced by core image and the exact same effect produced by er... an effect?

Core Image is a set of programming libraries created by Apple for use in processing images using the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). The ability to process image manipulation via the GPU made image processing very fluid and dynamic. By dynamic, I mean that you see all rendering in real-time.

The screensaver that you downloaded does not render in real-time. It takes a screenshot of what your screen looks like before it starts, then it pre-processes the combinations of "ripple" it will need. (Though it may render as it runs, it doesn't do it dynamically and "at-will"; it does it with a pre-defined graphic and a pre-set path of rippling).

Hope that explanation helped. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.