Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoSol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Hi All

I'm looking to switch back having an iPhone, and I was wondering if any one has had experience with gtalk on iOS.

I've had a look at a few third party apps that support gtalk, namely beejive, IM+, trillian and eBuddy, but the app store descriptions aren't particularly helpful.

Specifically, I was wondering if there was an app that:
* Runs in the background permanently for real-time chat updates
* Offers a no ads experience for both me and my chat partner
* Supports direct authentication with gtalk (such as using O-Auth), so that chat contents on pass directly between me, my partner and the google service, and not through the third party app provider

I wouldn't mind paying for an app to remove ads.

If anyone else knows for sure if any app would fit these requirements, do let me know! Your help is much appreciated!

geoSol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the suggestion for imo app, but the Terms of use are rather worrying:

What We Collect.
We receive and store any information you enter while you access or use the Service (whether on the Site or the Application), or that you give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information may include, but is not limited to: your first and last name, telephone number, postal or email addresses, photos, username, or password, as well as any personal information you choose to include in any of your comments, posts, pictures, or other submissions you make while using the Service.

Also, it may be nitpicking for a free service, but personally, I'd rather pay for an app than have to put up with ads.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
talkatone

The paid talkatone removes apps. I had this working great on my SGS2 phone. I am yet to make it work well on my iPhone 5. I am sure there is a way around it by enabling alerts and the like.
Hi All

I'm looking to switch back having an iPhone, and I was wondering if any one has had experience with gtalk on iOS.

I've had a look at a few third party apps that support gtalk, namely beejive, IM+, trillian and eBuddy, but the app store descriptions aren't particularly helpful.

* Supports direct authentication with gtalk (such as using O-Auth), so that chat contents on pass directly between me, my partner and the google service, and not through the third party app provider

If anyone else knows for sure if any app would fit these requirements, do let me know! Your help is much appreciated!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion for imo app, but the Terms of use are rather worrying:

Also, it may be nitpicking for a free service, but personally, I'd rather pay for an app than have to put up with ads.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
I'm pretty sure all that stuff applies to the imo network that they launched last year--kind of like their own smaller version of Facebook/Myspace. If you create a profile there and post and comment there, just like on Facebook or any other similar service, those terms would apply. It actually goes into that in the parts right after the part you quoted. As for the actual connections to other IM services, those were there originally and are separate from that whole imo network.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Hi All

http://monal.im/

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
g'day. i have im+ pro, it works well for me and fulfills your first two requirments. tho i have no idea about the third one...u might wanna contact them by sending an email to find out. :)

edit: actually, it won't run permanently on the background, u need to get on the app every 7 days at least, but i get notification to remind me to do so. (i hv ebuddy as well, basically the same deal.)

geoSol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Is this the problem? The temporary solution is to open the app in portrait mode.

http://monal.im/bugs/viewissue.php?issue_no=80

No, I just tried that. I think the problem for me is that I've got google's SMS 2 factor authenticator set up. It doesn't know how to handle the second part of the authentication.

Using the Google Accounts application password does not work. I wonder if there's a way to contact the developer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.