Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes -- push notifications for new posts in threads you've subscribed to!

MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Ouch! That could be painful for some members. Well it might be useful to some, I sure don't want to get flooded with notifications every time somebody posts in a thread I'm subscribed to. I know you could turn it off, but I think it's a bad idea, unless someone is not very active in the forum. It might be useful for private messages, though.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
To change the icon-

-Navigate to your user's library folder by holding the option key while clicking on the "go" menu in finder, and selecting "Library"

-Navigate to the "Caches" folder
-Navigate to "com.apple.safari"
-Click on the "RemoteNotifications" folder
-Click on "web.com.xeeno.push" folder
-Click on the "Contents" folder
-Click on the "Resources" folder

Replace the icon with the one attached. This isn't the original icon, but it is one I created that looks identical. It should do the job until the issue is fixed.

Cheers ;)

Cool - thanks for the workaround! Looks better now :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To change the icon-

-Navigate to your user's library folder by holding the option key while clicking on the "go" menu in finder, and selecting "Library"

Replace the icon with the one attached. This isn't the original icon, but it is one I created that looks identical. It should do the job until the issue is fixed.

Cheers ;)

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I think the icon mess-up is a Mavericks issue. If you do this, I believe it also fixes it:

1. Reboot Mavericks
2. Safari -> Preferences -> Notifications -> Remove MacRumors
3. https://www.macrumors.com/push/ - resubscribe

arn

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

REDTAZ

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I think the icon mess-up is a Mavericks issue. If you do this, I believe it also fixes it:

1. Reboot Mavericks
2. Safari -> Preferences -> Notifications -> Remove MacRumors
3. https://www.macrumors.com/push/ - resubscribe

arn

Tried this but it sadly did not fix the issue :/

Welcome! And good to know there is an alternative fix :)

Thanks for this Drew! Seems to be the only thing working for now, any chance you could create a retina version of the icon if possible? Looks a bit pixelated on my RMBP. Otherwise i can wait till the issue is hopefully resolved!

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
I would love to see Forum Push notifications as an option. Again, I know not everyone would like them but if you could have options for Subscribed threads, quotes and PMs that could be managed independently it would be useful for someone like myself!

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Are the forum moderators aware of this issue? I know we are discussing it, but do they even know there is a problem to begin with?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ok. I think we fixed the weird icon problem with MacRumors' push notifications.

1. Remove "MacRumors" from Safari Preferences

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 10.34.52 PM.png

2. Then go to https://www.macrumors.com and re-subscribe when the dialog pops up.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 10.35.17 PM.png

arn

Last edited:

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Has anyone not been receiving MR updates the past few days? I've subscribed and resubscribed but haven't gotten any updates since about 3 days ago. Is this just me or is this actually an issue? Thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Has anyone not been receiving MR updates the past few days? I've subscribed and resubscribed but haven't gotten any updates since about 3 days ago. Is this just me or is this actually an issue? Thanks.

There has been no new articles posted since Friday afternoon. Maybe that's it.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
To change the icon-

213k9xf.jpg

Cheers ;)

I need some help please! This is my thread I made and I'm trying hard to find a solution.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/edit-osx-safari-notifications.1935230/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.