Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think providing a one-stop set of codecs that work and work well on Macs is great. And there are sites that list this and this and this, but I'm not aware of places you can easily go and get a single file.

I don't know about the Perian issue because I don't use DivX or XviD. But anyways...

In the spirit of disclosure... you might actually tell what's in this "codec pack" and from where it came? I'm assuming you didn't actually write a whole new set of codecs, did you? In that case you should be crediting whomever provided the codecs that you are now bundling.

Also if you could use a disk image, perhaps with a link to the appropriate library folder so the drag and drop is even easier, that would be nicer than the zip file. :)

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Apparently, the guy who made this pack had some unspecific issue with some avi with only Perian installed, so rather than trying to figure out specifically what the problem was (and telling people so it could be fixed correctly), he instead tossed together a bunch of redundant, conflicting and/or broken components (not to mention the encoding components useless for playback and which are commercial trials anyways) and zipped them up, choosing different ones for PPC and Intel (even though many of the components were universal to begin with.)

He also doesn't mention system requirements: trying to install these components on systems prior to 10.4 results in many crashes.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah 'quicktime doesn't work with apple applications that need quicktime' seems rather redundant.

Codecs are fickle and sometimes don't like eachother.
Persian is a good supported codec pack... and when that doesn't work there is VLC. (or MPlayer... which i prefer more).

p71

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2006
I use QuickTime for everything, unless it doesn't read a format then its time to crack out VLC :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.