Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
As I said in the MacOS Rumors gone? thread...well, I don't remember exactly what I said, but: 96%, sweet.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
King Cobra said:
As I said in the MacOS Rumors gone? thread...well, I don't remember exactly what I said, but: 96%, sweet.
I know its iffy. But, 96% sure is quite high. Worth a note anyway!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
What will you do if MacOSRumors at blogspot goes back to macosrumors.com ?
new_shocked.gif

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
... well i hope for apple that they release an absolute highend machine - i even would be in business for something like 5000-6000$, though i will order a new powermac g5 dual 2.5 and a powerbook 17" tomorrow ... have to do some serious vfx business.

anyway, have a look at those cinebench charts ... well even the new (yet not released) dual 2.5 lags behind ... and number one is a quad ... xeon ... time for apple to go way beyond those xeons ...

i would be very surprised if we see something like a quad powermac this year
.a

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 239

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
This just in...

You can also bake bread in it.

I like the "four handles on top" myself - if it needs four handles to be lifted, should it really be lifted at all?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
While I doubt this rumor is true, I will bet big $$$ that if any company (Dell, HP, IBM, ect.) can make a quad processor computer first, it will be Apple.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
musicpyrite said:
While I doubt this rumor is true, I will bet big $$$ that if any company (Dell, HP, IBM, ect.) can make a quad processor computer first, it will be Apple.

Dell, HP and IBM already make computers with many more than four processors.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, it's been a long time since that last quad-processor Mac, but that was made by Daystar, not Apple. I don't think that Apple is going to release a quad anytime soon, because the dual G5 is already ridiculously fast.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Will Apple make a quad processor powermac some day? Probably.

Is this particular rumor going to be proven true? I'd say it's got a snowball's chance in hell.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Chaszmyr said:
Is this particular rumor going to be proven true? I'd say it's got a snowball's chance in hell.

Perhaps more appropriately: a snowball's chance in a quad-G5. ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Although it's nice to dream, I somehow think that, with MacOSRumors' poor track record (less than 50% correct), that both this rumor and the 96% certainty figure are bogus. I doubt that Apple would come out with a quad PowerMac in late 2004. That just seems unreasonable, given Apple's past history.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
That's waaaay too soon.....They just barely announced the new G5s, there's no way they're going to throw in a computer to shadow their entire still-new G5 lineup. Talk about rumors...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
jsw said:
Perhaps more appropriately: a snowball's chance in a quad-G5. ;)
Right, but the snowball has a chance of surviving virtually.

The Quad Mac will have two real processors (Physical) and two virtual processors (Logical).

So it is really a Dual Power5-UL with SMT.

The OS only sees 4 CPUs... And this should give us a 35-40% boost over the G5 at the same clock speed.

We also keep hearing the possibility of dual core G5s and such, but that is a reality in the Power4s and Power5s.

We should probably be seeing these around the time Tiger arrives, which is damn good news.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Quad PowerMac redundant now

Quad-CPU PowerMacs are not really needed these days. Two 2.5 GHz G5 processors provide all the power a modern application could need and for anything that requires more there are XServe Cluster Nodes and the XServe RAID.

I am not an expert in programming but I think that the resources it would take to make OS X and its applications quad-CPU aware would not be worth it. Better for Apple to keep making dual-CPU PowerMacs and XServes and push their power-hungry customers towards cluster solutions.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
johnnowak said:
Software without support for being clustered is worthless on a cluster system.

I do not know what it is called but Apple has a cluster software solution that is very easy for developers to implement into their applications. The first application to utilise this is Motion and I think Shake might be using it too. Basically your workstation seeks out compatible computers on your network and distributes the workload to them. Adobe utilises a similar system for After Effects and 3D rendering applications have used solutions like this for years.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Could something like a quad powermac be the "XStation" - Apple's high end Server?? Therefore, not overshadowing the PowerMacs? It would address a different market. Those people building supercomputers would love it!

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
I really don't expect Apple to have four separate processors in any machine any time soon but IBM is eventually gona make a dual core G5 decendant. Everyone seems to be planning dual cores on high-end desktops, including Apple's competition in PC land.

Quad G5's as they stand now would be prohibitively expensive because of the need for 4 FSB's and the RAM to feed them, all linked into a single connection point (or series of interconnected connection points). Xeons and Itaniums have 2-4 processors per FSB, AMD doesn't have to worry about FSB's these days.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ddtlm said:
I really don't expect Apple to have four separate processors in any machine any time soon but IBM is eventually gona make a dual core G5 decendant. Everyone seems to be planning dual cores on high-end desktops, including Apple's competition in PC land.

Quad G5's as they stand now would be prohibitively expensive because of the need for 4 FSB's and the RAM to feed them, all linked into a single connection point (or series of interconnected connection points). Xeons and Itaniums have 2-4 processors per FSB, AMD doesn't have to worry about FSB's these days.
I was just thinking - why not swing for the fences with an 8 CPU design? Here's how this one would work: the Mac would have two dual-core CPUs (that's 4 right there), plus SMT to create 8 effective CPUs. This way, Apple wouldn't need 4 or 8 system buses, and would still get most of the performance benefits from the additional processors. (BTW, if Mac OS X is dual-CPU aware, that automatically makes it n-CPU aware.)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Given the G5 farms of late the Quad G5 is not that far fetched.

Also were there not those that thought pictures from AppleInside prior the G5 rev. B update indicated a quad design possible?

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
wrldwzrd89:

was just thinking - why not swing for the fences with an 8 CPU design? Here's how this one would work: the Mac would have two dual-core CPUs (that's 4 right there), plus SMT to create 8 effective CPUs.
That's certainly possible, but its still really just a 4 CPU machine. SMT does not make one CPU perform like two.

Chip NoVaMac:

Given the G5 farms of late the Quad G5 is not that far fetched.
You need to check on prices of quads. Quad Opterons are about the least expensive quads out there and they start at $10k, for between 50% and 100% more expensive than the same hardware divided between two dual-CPU machines. Unless there is something that really benefits from the shared memory, its not worth it.

Now of course Apple could come in and try to lower that price, but they can't do that till they get away from these current 970's with their FSB's because the monolithic system controller would be one heck of a complex chunk of electronics. With a CPU-CPU interconnect and on-die memory controllers they could do a quad for twice the cost of a dual, if IBM allows it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.