Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
You sure that Terk is good? Reviews for it seem pretty crappy, placing it at 3.5 stars.

I always thought the good one is the "Silver Sensor"

where do you see 3.5 stars?

Terk makes more than 1 antenna. make sure you are looking at the TV-5

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Technically speaking, EyeTV Hybrid can view/record one frequency at a time. But it can record as many streams as you want on a given frequency. (Some channels have more that one sub-channel. The EyeTV Hybrid can play all subchannels at once, since all subchannels are on the same frequency.)

Of course, how often do you really want to watch/record two things that are on the same 'channel' at the same time? (If you're in one of the areas where CBS broadcasts CW on its subchannel, maybe.)

Here are two screenshots showing it in action. Both are demonstrating Portland, Oregon channel 10, our public broadcasting channel, on its three subchannels. The big one (background) is the main feed (OPB HD), the second one (upper left,) is the 'PBS Create' channel, and the third one (lower right,) is the local equivalent of C-SPAN (covers the Oregon Legislature.) The second screenshot shows the EyeTV 'Programs' window showing three recordings at once. (Plus my recording of the Cringely Digital TV special that airs every night at 2:00 AM.)
EyeTVmulti.png

EyeTVrecord.png

You can open multiple windows by holding 'Control' while selecting 'Open Live TV Window' from the File menu. (Do it again for the next subchannel.)

P.S. The EyeTV software can record as many channels (frequencies) as you have compatible tuners. So you could have one Miglia TVMini HD for HD recording, one EyeTV 250 for analog recording, and an EyeTV Hybrid for a second HD or second analog as needed. (Or 3 EyeTV Hybrids for any combination of analog and digital.) For example, I can receive 8 HD channels, with a total 16 subchannels between them all where I am, so with a Mac Pro upgraded with quad-core processors, a ton of RAM, and some lightning fast RAIDed hard drives, I could put 8 EyeTV Hybrids or TVMini HDs on it and record all 16 subchannels at once. (My MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Core Duo can handle the above-shown one 1080i and two 480p feeds without dropping any frames, but I wouldn't try two 1080i's at the same time, so I imagine it would take a Mac Pro Octo to do all 8 channels/16 subchannels at once.)

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
First things first Survivor is horrible, thats why it is not in HD! I'm sure you will be into the new series "Ow, my Balls".

I just wanted to say I really loved this thread. So much, that I went down to the local indie mac store and bought myself a brand new shiny Eyetv Hybrid. I am using a $12 UHF bowtie antenna from radioshack and watching HDTV. I can't believe that for 150 I could have a bedside HDTV.

Believe it or not it works great on 17" PB G4. It said on the box it wouldn't work, but I just don't run anything in the background and it does full widescreen HD. Conan looked great last night while I fell asleep. I woke up and the today show was on, and the unit was not that hot. I can't wait to try it out with my mini and my projector tonight!!!!!! SNL will rock!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Thought I Was An EyeTV Whore Until I Found Ed Hurtley

Technically speaking, EyeTV Hybrid can view/record one frequency at a time. But it can record as many streams as you want on a given frequency. (Some channels have more that one sub-channel. The EyeTV Hybrid can play all subchannels at once, since all subchannels are on the same frequency.)

Of course, how often do you really want to watch/record two things that are on the same 'channel' at the same time? (If you're in one of the areas where CBS broadcasts CW on its subchannel, maybe.)

Here are two screenshots showing it in action. Both are demonstrating Portland, Oregon channel 10, our public broadcasting channel, on its three subchannels. The big one (background) is the main feed (OPB HD), the second one (upper left,) is the 'PBS Create' channel, and the third one (lower right,) is the local equivalent of C-SPAN (covers the Oregon Legislature.) The second screenshot shows the EyeTV 'Programs' window showing three recordings at once. (Plus my recording of the Cringely Digital TV special that airs every night at 2:00 AM.)
EyeTVmulti.png

EyeTVrecord.png

You can open multiple windows by holding 'Control' while selecting 'Open Live TV Window' from the File menu. (Do it again for the next subchannel.)

P.S. The EyeTV software can record as many channels (frequencies) as you have compatible tuners. So you could have one Miglia TVMini HD for HD recording, one EyeTV 250 for analog recording, and an EyeTV Hybrid for a second HD or second analog as needed. (Or 3 EyeTV Hybrids for any combination of analog and digital.) For example, I can receive 8 HD channels, with a total 16 subchannels between them all where I am, so with a Mac Pro upgraded with quad-core processors, a ton of RAM, and some lightning fast RAIDed hard drives, I could put 8 EyeTV Hybrids or TVMini HDs on it and record all 16 subchannels at once. (My MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Core Duo can handle the above-shown one 1080i and two 480p feeds without dropping any frames, but I wouldn't try two 1080i's at the same time, so I imagine it would take a Mac Pro Octo to do all 8 channels/16 subchannels at once.)
Say what? Your post has just blown my mind Ed. I can't open more than one channel with my EyeTV 500 holding down the option key on a CBS/CW frequency. What's the trick? I also have Hybrid but it only picks up some frequencies better than others. While the 500 picks up the CBS/CW excellently, the Hybrid does not but instead picks up the NBC station better than the 500. So tell em what I'm doing wrong to not be able to open both CBS/CW channels on the same frequency when I hold down Option and choose open live please. What channel should it be on first? 46-1 or 46-2 ?

Can we talk? I've added you to my iChat. My AIM Name is "kungag5".

I am buying an 8 core Mac Pro specifically to record more EyeTV and crush to mp4 faster Ed.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Say what? Your post has just blown my mind Ed. I can't open more than one channel with my EyeTV 500 holding down the option key on a CBS/CW frequency. What's the trick? I also have Hybrid but it only picks up some frequencies better than others. While the 500 picks up the CBS/CW excellently, the Hybrid does not but instead picks up the NBC station better than the 500. So tell em what I'm doing wrong to not be able to open both CBS/CW channels on the same frequency when I hold down Option and choose open live please. What channel should it be on first? 46-1 or 46-2 ?

Can we talk? I've added you to my iChat. My AIM Name is "kungag5".

I am buying an 8 core Mac Pro specifically to record more EyeTV and crush to mp4 faster Ed.

First, I'm using EyeTV 2.3.3 on an EyeTV Hybrid on my MacBook Pro.

Second, I open a channel (frequency) that has multiple subchannels (streams.) (In my case, channel 10, where I see 10-1, 10-2, and 10-3 in my channel listing.) I usually start with the x-1 subchannel, but it works for any of them.

Third, I hold down Control (ctrl,) and go to the File menu and click 'Open Live TV Window'. This opens a second live window with the next subchannel. Repeat for more. (If you go beyond the number of subchannels, it starts duplicating.) And if you change channels, it will change all the windows to switch to the same subchannel on the new channel (duplicating if you have more windows open than there are subchannels on the new channel.)

Even if the channel you are on doesn't have any subchannels, it will still open a second window, just duplicating the live feed. (You can also do picture-in-picture with subchannels.

And, heck, you mention having both an EyeTV 500 and a Hybrid, you should be able to tune two separate channels (frequencies) at once, with all of their subchannels (streams) open at the same time. (So, for example, I could record/watch the three subchannels you see in my screenshot PLUS the five subchannels that the local religious channel shows.)

Take a look at your EyeTV 2 Software Manual pages 6-8.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A

Second, I open a channel (frequency) that has multiple subchannels (streams.) (In my case, channel 10, where I see 10-1, 10-2, and 10-3 in my channel listing.) I usually start with the x-1 subchannel, but it works for any of them.

Third, I hold down Control (ctrl,) and go to the File menu and click 'Open Live TV Window'. This opens a second live window with the next subchannel. Repeat for more. (If you go beyond the number of subchannels, it starts duplicating.) And if you change channels, it will change all the windows to switch to the same subchannel on the new channel (duplicating if you have more windows open than there are subchannels on the new channel.)

Even if the channel you are on doesn't have any subchannels, it will still open a second window, just duplicating the live feed. (You can also do picture-in-picture with subchannels.

And, heck, you mention having both an EyeTV 500 and a Hybrid, you should be able to tune two separate channels (frequencies) at once, with all of their subchannels (streams) open at the same time. (So, for example, I could record/watch the three subchannels you see in my screenshot PLUS the five subchannels that the local religious channel shows.)

Thanks! That is sweet!

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I have Eye TV Hybrid and really enjoy it. That said, I can't seem to find any HD channels. I live in San Diego, CA which is a pretty big city so there *must* be some HD content I can pick up?

I go to Window > Show Eye TV Programs. Under "Service", there are 3 options: Analog - Antenna NTSC, Analog - Cable NTSC and Digital - Antenna ATSC. Which of these 3 options will I <hopefully> find HD stuff. Is it indicated somewhere that is is indeed HD?

Thanks!

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I notice I can choose either Digial or Analog within Preferences > Devices. I currently have it set to Digital. Is this the right setting?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Opened 7 PBS Frequency Windows

I finally got that working from my 500. I was able to open 7 windows on my PBS station's frequency. But the content is all the same. The menu bars say:

737MHz #1 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #2 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #3 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #4 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #5 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #6 - 25-1 KCAH-DT
737MHz #7 - 25-1 KCAH-DT

Weird. When I open the CBS/CW pair I see:

581 MHz #1 - 46-1 KION-DT
581 MHz #2 - 46-2 The CW

I have a new problem now though. Suddenly my NBC and FOX broadcast signals are too weak to receive. The stations claim all is well on their end. But I have never had such a poor signal since I started watching with EyeTV a year and a half ago. I don't know what to do to convince them something is wrong with their transmissions now. Could it be strange atmospheric conditions causing this reception problem?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Auto Tune With Digital Antenna ATSC Selected Skinnylegs

I have Eye TV Hybrid and really enjoy it. That said, I can't seem to find any HD channels. I live in San Diego, CA which is a pretty big city so there *must* be some HD content I can pick up?

I go to Window > Show Eye TV Programs. Under "Service", there are 3 options: Analog - Antenna NTSC, Analog - Cable NTSC and Digital - Antenna ATSC. Which of these 3 options will I <hopefully> find HD stuff. Is it indicated somewhere that is is indeed HD?
Select Digital - Antenna ATSC. Then press Auto-Tune to get them into your software's tuner. Do you have your TitanTV Guide working yet? That should come in with the digital auto-tuning as well.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I notice I can choose either Digial or Analog within Preferences > Devices. I currently have it set to Digital. Is this the right setting?

The Preferences -> Devices setting is just to show the settings for either Digital or Analog. This setting doesn't actually do anything with regard to receiving HD. They really should be two separate tabs, not a radio check box.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
My TerkTV 5 Antenna Was Broken

I happened to buy a second TerkTV5 Antenna so I could feed a second tuner from a different antenna in a different position. So I just switched to that antenna and all my channels came back. Turned out one of my powered TerkTV5 Antenna is broken! :eek: Wow I never would have guessed that was the problem. Lucky I had the spare. Plus now I don't have to move the antenna into different positions to get a strong signal on all of the frequencies. Looks like I've been relying on a defective antenna for ages.:eek: :(

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Select Digital - Antenna ATSC. Then press Auto-Tune to get them into your software's tuner. Do you have your TitanTV Guide working yet? That should come in with the digital auto-tuning as well.
I did as you suggested and it said there were no channels. This may get the stupid question of the week but.....do I need a seperate antenna? I mean, I bought the Eye TV Hybrid. Do I need something else?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Yes Hybrid Needs An Antenna Attached To It

I did as you suggested and it said there were no channels. This may get the stupid question of the week but.....do I need a seperate antenna? I mean, I bought the Eye TV Hybrid. Do I need something else?
You mean your Hybrid has nothing attached to it? :eek:

Yes you need an antenna connected directly to the hybrid. Are you near a window that faces the transmitters in your market? Or are there buildings out the window that will give you a bounce from where ever the signals come from?

I recommend the TerkTV5 $34.70 with free shipping at Amazon.com (this is a link to it). I have mine sitting on its side on top of a slim box sitting on the window's indoor shelf.

Attachments

• TerkTV5.jpg
    TerkTV5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 73

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Thank you for your quick response, Multimedia.

I apologize for asking such a lame question but I really didn't know. My iMac is sitting right in front of a window so I'm assuming I should be in good shape? I don't really know where the transmitters are. Does the antenna plug into the Eye TV Hybrid in that rectangular looking thingey on the side of the Hybrid?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
How It Attaches

Thank you for your quick response, Multimedia.

I apologize for asking such a lame question but I really didn't know. My iMac is sitting right in front of a window so I'm assuming I should be in good shape? I don't really know where the transmitters are. Does the antenna plug into the Eye TV Hybrid in that rectangular looking thingey on the side of the Hybrid?
No it slips on the round screw on the end of the Hybrid. You may need to extend the Terk line with another piece of coax and a double female coax extension connector.

Isn't this in the Hybrid's documentation on the CD that came with it?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
This is a major bummer. I got my EyeTV 250 replacement after mine broke and they sent me ANOTHER EyeTV 250! I specifically asked for an EyeTV Hybrid in exchange and they agreed twice that they'd exchange it for a Hybrid. Ugh... why should I do now? Keep it? Send it back? Sell it and buy the Hybrid?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
This is a major bummer. I got my EyeTV 250 replacement after mine broke and they sent me ANOTHER EyeTV 250! I specifically asked for an EyeTV Hybrid in exchange and they agreed twice that they'd exchange it for a Hybrid. Ugh... why should I do now? Keep it? Send it back? Sell it and buy the Hybrid?

If you got written confirmation that they'd send you a Hybrid, call and complain. If not, then there isn't much you can do.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
You mean your Hybrid has nothing attached to it? :eek:

Yes you need an antenna connected directly to the hybrid. Are you near a window that faces the transmitters in your market? Or are there buildings out the window that will give you a bounce from where ever the signals come from?

I recommend the TerkTV5 $34.70 with free shipping at Amazon.com (this is a link to it). I have mine sitting on its side on top of a slim box sitting on the window's indoor shelf.

Is this antenna all it's said to be? I have a set of old fashion rabbit ears, and I am able to pick up my HD signals, but I have noticed that when recording I get, what I can only call, static in my digital channels. A better description would probably be that I see black blocks and I lose a few seconds worth of frames. Could this be attributed to my antenna, or possibly another problem? I have a Mac Pro, so that should be more than enough power.

Also, is there a way where I could use two incoming signals and somehow connect it to the Hybrid, one cable & one antenna connection, fed to an antenna with a switch?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
If you got written confirmation that they'd send you a Hybrid, call and complain. If not, then there isn't much you can do.

Yes I did. I got 2 written confirmations that I was going to receive a Hybrid. So I emailed them back about it and they finally got back to me and sent me a link to a UPS return label with 2nd Day Air. So I'm gonna send the EyeTV 250 back and wait (again) for the Hybrid... what a mess.

From Elgato Systems:

"I'm sorry that the wrong item was sent as a replacement. You may still exchange the 250 for the Hybrid, as you intended.
I'll issue you an electronic return shipping label. Please return the 250 and I'll send you a Hybrid.
Really, I promise..."

So they promised me they'd send me the Hybrid this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.