Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I love the plastic look of the old Apple LCDs (ironically not a fan of the current models), and I especially love the design of the stand. So, I was wondering how these things compare to the current LCDs as far as quality of display goes? I'm sure technology has improved a lot since these were made, so how are the response times, color saturation, etc? The 20" seems moderately affordable on eBay, about what I would spend on a new decent quality, off-brand (or Dell), 20" LCD... just a thought. Thanks :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've been using one daily for about five years with no complaints. The backlighting is starting to get a bit weak, flickering and starting out dim, but fine when it warms up after a few minutes. One thing to keep in mind about these displays is the ADC connector. To run one on a Mac without and ADC card will require an adaptor, which mainly provides power to the display. The cost, last I checked, was around $100.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Uh, no... those looks absolutely gaudy with that kickstand I felt depressed. I prefer the current model.

Honestly I would rather get a NEC model over that old Studio display anyday. :eek:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I've been using one daily for about five years with no complaints. The backlighting is starting to get a bit weak, flickering and starting out dim, but fine when it warms up after a few minutes. One thing to keep in mind about these displays is the ADC connector. To run one on a Mac without and ADC card will require an adaptor, which mainly provides power to the display. The cost, last I checked, was around $100.
Ya, I'd be sure to get one with an ACD/DVI adaptor with it, which would be much cheaper than getting it separately. I've seen reports on the backlights going bad, along with the inverter board for them. Seems like cheap to fix, but a royal PITA.

Uh, no... those looks absolutely gaudy with that kickstand I felt depressed. I prefer the current model.

Honestly I would rather get a NEC model over that old Studio display anyday. :eek:

Well, you're entitled to you opinion. I think they were slick looking. I love the picture frame look for a display, and the semi-transparent plastic is cool, hip, sleek, whatever you want to call it. But, what I'm asking about is the quality of the panel.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Our's is Great

We have two of the old plastic display versions and we love them.

They are very bright and crisp.

I am looking at an Apple next to an NEC LCD 1700V (also 4 years old) and the Apple is way brighter.

Color is fairly accurate but calibration is needed for a press match.

DJO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.