Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend a quality USB-C hub that has both USB-C and standard USB ports. At least one of each. Ethernet would be a plus but not mandatory. Apple makes one but I don't need the HDMI and I am trying to avoid the really cheap stuff found everywhere on Amazon. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't think there is anything actually available yet. Closest things are Apple's hub and the Anker usb/Ethernet hub which is available with both usb-a or usb-c ends but no pass-through charging. I use the Apple hub with the usb-a variant for additional ports and Ethernet.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There aren't any yet. USB-C is a new standard, and requires a lot of complex circuitry to work right. Most of what you see advertised on Amazon are just USB 3.0 hubs that have USB-C connectors attached to them. Unfortunately, they cannot reliably charge the MacBook, or in many cases provide more than USB 2.0 speeds.

That's why the KickStarter projects like Hub+ and Kadi Port are all significantly delayed. The most descriptive so far has been HydraDock, who has a very detailed explanation as to what is going on with their project (though they basically accuse the other projects of being scams).

There was/is some suspicion around Hydradock, as well, though they appear to have a professional website with names, pictures, and a real address, and have been a lot more transparent about the issues. That said, you might want to wait until one of these companies actually has a shipping product before committing any money.

https://hydradock.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/project_updates#preorder-nav

It seems Apple is one of the few companies who had working true USB-C devices. They probably have monopsony buying power right now and left little for anyone else. They could have made some decent sales had they made a dock of their own, but I'm guessing they view that as incompatible with the vision of the MacBook.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I've pre ordered the one from OWC, which was about 100 dollars, but it's already been pushed back twice, it says 20th november shipping at the moment.

Hub+ has stopped taking orders all together.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 22.03.00.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 22.03.00.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.