Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macajax4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2001
Hi guys... I have a 550 MHz TiBook with an ati radeon graphics card with 16 mb RAm, which should be supported to run Quartz Extreme...... But QE doesn'T work, as it should, which the app Quartz Extreme Check tells me. Could anyone help me out or just inform me? Thanks!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
My guess would be that it is an error in the Quartz Extreme check program. I have never used it, or heard of it for that matter, but it sounds as if it is wrong. Check in apple system profiler to see if it is acknowledging your card as a Radeon with the specs your card has. Thats about all I can think of.

macajax4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2001
Strange....

In Apple System Profiler, I read:

Card Type : ATY,DDParent
Card Name : ATY,StoneParent
Card Model : ATY,RageM6
Vendor ID : 1002
Device ID : 4c59
ROM# : 113-XXXXX-115
Revision : 0
Card (Video) Memory : 16 Mb

Might this mean that Apple has tricked me and put a eage card in my TiBook instead of a radeon? Has anyone else with a Ti550 checked this info in Apple System Profiler?

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
What program is this that you're using to check your quartz extreme status? Where did you get it? Anyway, I have a ti550 at home and will let you know as soon as i get home from work early this afternoon.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by macajax4
Of course I'm running 10.2 (10.2.1 to be more precise)

OK, just checking... I work part-time as a computer consultant and it's amazing how often the blindingly obvious is overlooked (such as the fact that a power cord is NOT enough to connect to the Internet). As for your problem, I'd make sure QE was actually not running... Open a large QT movie and a terminal window. Set the transparency level to something semi- but-not-completely- transparent. Drag the terminal window rapidly over the movie. If the terminal drags jerkily and/or the movie drops frames, QE is not on. If it is still smooth, trash the QE check utility.

macajax4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2001
Found the problem

It seems that Quartz Extreme is not functional when there is a second display attached without mirroring (extended desktop). It's quite strange, since I would expect it to work. Apple didn't warn at all of this possible problem. Do any of you know why this is so? Thanks

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: Strange.... (Wait a sec...)

In Apple System Profiler, I read:

Card Type : ATY,DDParent
Card Name : ATY,StoneParent
Card Model : ATY,RageM6
Vendor ID : 1002
Device ID : 4c59
ROM# : 113-XXXXX-115
Revision : 0
Card (Video) Memory : 16 Mb

Might this mean that Apple has tricked me and put a eage card in my TiBook instead of a radeon? Has anyone else with a Ti550 checked this info in Apple System Profiler?

Wait... since when did Apple put Radeons in a 550?

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
mobility radeons were in tibooks since rev Bs. The rev b 550/667 had 16mb mobile radeons. rev c 667/800 currently has the mobility radeon 7500 with 32mb

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Found the problem

It seems that Quartz Extreme is not functional when there is a second display attached without mirroring (extended desktop). It's quite strange, since I would expect it to work. Apple didn't warn at all of this possible problem. Do any of you know why this is so? Thanks

16 Megabytes is the bare minimum for QE support. Since you're using the machine to extend your desktop, the non-accelerated version of Quartz has to be loaded.

Similar things will happen on machines where a PCI video card is active along with the AGP video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.