Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Just picked up a new 13" MBP and have a question about the trackpad. I get that "the whole thing is the button" but the top quarter of my trackpad doesn't click at all. Is this normal? Seems to me that only about 75% of this track pad is a button and in the first few minutes of using it, I don't like it...

Thanks for any help.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That is normal. There are threads that talk about opening it up and adjusting its sensitivity.

I say, embrace multi-touch. I never use the trackpad as a button, I simply tap.

Widgetal

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Same on the 15". I've turned on the tap to click and so don't have to physically click it.

I also find it quite annoying.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
That is normal. There are threads that talk about opening it up and adjusting its sensitivity.

I say, embrace multi-touch. I never use the trackpad as a button, I simply tap.

I cant stand the tap to click (on my CE macbook, thats for you rdowns) I always click things I dont want to! The loud click is annoying though but yea your mouse is normal.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It makes perfect sense once you realize how it works. It's hinged at the top, meaning that it still works best to click along the bottom edge since that's the point with the most travel.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
It makes sense for it to be hinged at the top and click most at the bottom, because that's how a normal trackpad with button(s) is.

You wouldn't press-click at the top of the trackpad on any other laptop to click, would you?

Same on the 15". I've turned on the tap to click and so don't have to physically click it.

I also find it quite annoying.

Same for you...heh

macdot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
You wouldn't press-click at the top of the trackpad on any other laptop to click, would you?

I wouldn't click the middle of a trackpad on any other laptop either, but that's the point of these new ones, or so I thought. It's just annoying that if I move the mouse to the top of the screen I have to move my hand to click. I'll get used to it, just doesn't seem like "the whole trackpad is a button" the way I thought I understood it.

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
You should be able to press/click the top of the trackpad, you just have to press down a lot harder. In saying that I don't click the top of the trackpad during normal use.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I wouldn't click the middle of a trackpad on any other laptop either, but that's the point of these new ones, or so I thought. It's just annoying that if I move the mouse to the top of the screen I have to move my hand to click. I'll get used to it, just doesn't seem like "the whole trackpad is a button" the way I thought I understood it.

See, I just use it like any other laptop, but larger...

If I run a finger to the top, I'll tap-to-click. If I didn't like tap to click though, I'd lift that finger a bit then click with my thumb.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I honestly think it just needs some time to wear-in. I used my original UMB for a week, but my sister didn't use hers as she was in Costa Rica on a trip, but when I was transfering her info to the desktop to return them for the UMBP, I noticed that her trackpad had a louder click and required a little bit more force to click.

I love the new trackpad. I found myself adjusting to it very quickly and almost naturally. I just adjusted to it without even thinking about adjusting to it, and when I went back to my old BlackBook, I actually tried to use multi-touch and click in the center of the trackpad out of habit. Keep in mind that this was after MAYBE 4 days. Just give it time. It's comparable to the iPhone soft keyboard and how you must adjust to it and learn where the tips of your fingers are.

A

ahjjones

I cant stand the tap to click (on my CE macbook, thats for you rdowns) I always click things I dont want to! The loud click is annoying though but yea your mouse is normal.
What's CE Macbook? The unibody macbook sure isn't a collectors item as it was made in large quantities. You mean old hardware. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.