Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Hi all,

If I am transferring a file between a NAS attached via ethernet to the internal time capsule hard drive (latest one), is my MacBook Pro a relay point— basically, does the file go from the hard drive to my computer through wireless and then back to the time capsule through wireless? Or does it go directly?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hi all,

If I am transferring a file between a NAS attached via ethernet to the internal time capsule hard drive (latest one), is my MacBook Pro a relay point— basically, does the file go from the hard drive to my computer through wireless and then back to the time capsule through wireless? Or does it go directly?

Through your machine if using drag and drop GUI method, to go directly you need to login to your NAS machine/appliance with something like ssh in Terminal using command line then use rsync/scp/sftp/ftp to directly copy to the IP address of the Time Capsule using the similar protocol if any on it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hi all,

A CPU has to be involved. There may be some NAS's that can do this, but most likely if you initiate the command from your computer, then your computer's CPU is processing the transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.