Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Ok this one is for a Windows Machine running F@H.

I have a P4 1.5 Ghrz machine that folds. I notice that when I am running fodling at home that that something in the tower (i am assuming its a fan) runs louder than it did before I began folding. Is this normal?

Also what settings do you guys set your Folding machines at? I used to have it set to use all availible Processor Power that was free, is that a bad thing? Should I set it lower and only use say 50%??

Mike

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
The fan will run faster when folding is on, this is normal.

If you wish to lower the speed at which folding runs, that is fine, but don't do it too low or you will not be able to hand in work units on time, which is what we all want.

:D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
He Mr. Macman, haven't seen you in a long time!

But back to the question. I have it on all of my machines to the maximum. Even my P4 2.0 at work folds 24/7. It depends on your machine if it might get a little bit hot in it. If so, the fan starts working. If this annoys you, get another pc or "cripple" FAH a bit. Also putting the pc somewhere under your desk is an improvement, you won't hear it as much!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.