Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I'm contemplating getting rid of one of my cars and getting a motorcyle. I'm not interested in hearing about the pros or cons or dangers of driving a motorcyle in this thread. I would like to know if anyone has had experience purchasing a new motorcycle and if motorcycle dealers take cars for trade ins? It's a nice car so maybe that matters?
I'm most interested in a Triumph, Ducati or BMW.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I will be interested in how things go with info. I too am thinking of getting a motorcycle.

As for your old car, you could just take it to a CarMax, if there is one near you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Generally they do not take cars as trade-ins. I just recently purchased a motorcycle and let Ford deal with the trade-in of the mustang.
You should also know that insuring the bike for the first time will be higher as you increase your cc's on the bike...just an FYI. If you're not a newly licensed motorcyclist then you should be fine in whatever bike. Personally, I prefer BMW. :)

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well there is a BMW/Triumph dealer here so if they do happen to take trades since it's affiliated with BMW then I could choose between the two, and those two are my favorites. The car is a MINI which is owned by BMW so maybe I have a chance.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I don't think they often take cars for trade-in but I guess it depends on the place.

One thing. Ducati is a very precision driven motorcycle but it demands near perfect performance out of you to get that result. If you're not already somewhat relaxed and precise in your motions youself on a motorcycle they can be sort of 'twitchy' and difficult to manage. Highly recommended but just not as user-friendly in the beginning.
My $.02 anyway.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I'm another interested person, mostly becuase I am young and am thinking about getting an older motorcycle to avoid high gas prices and just because a motorcycle seems to fit my needs.

Anyway, if you have a mini and want to trade it for a BMW you probably have a chance. I guess it all depends on whether the BMW/Triumph dealer also sells cars...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.