Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Well, right now I do have a Mac which is compatible with ML, however I am getting a new rMBP in the next few weeks.

The rMBP will probably, mostly, already include the new ML. The question is, am I going to be able to upgrade my current mac using my new rMBP ML license? Or i will be needing to purchase a speared license for this one?

Cloaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Your current rMBP already qualifies for a free copy of ML...

I never said I have a rMBP! I am going to buy it on the next few weeks. The question is: am I able to install that free copy of ML that comes with the rMBP on my current mac? Right now, I got a MacBook pro 2009

Cloaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Ah, sorry, misread that there.

Nope. Have to buy it for the 09.

Damnn, I though that the free copy would just be a normal MAS copy... including the fact that I could install it on all my Macs.

I guess i will be wasting another 20 bucks tomorrow..

Np! Thanks for the help!

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Damnn, I though that the free copy would just be a normal MAS copy... including the fact that I could install it on all my Macs.

I guess i will be wasting another 20 bucks tomorrow..

Np! Thanks for the help!

Depends on whether the rMBP ships with ML pre-installed, or you simply get a code to redeem in the app store to download. If its preloaded, you're out of luck, but if you get a code, it'll simply apply ML to your AppleID and then allow you to install it on any Mac you own.

Cloaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Depends on whether the rMBP ships with ML pre-installed, or you simply get a code to redeem in the app store to download. If its preloaded, you're out of luck, but if you get a code, it'll simply apply ML to your AppleID and then allow you to install it on any Mac you own.

Ohh I see..well I am just going to buy it in the middle of August... which means it is probably going to get it pre-installed =/

WHY. Do people spend $2000 on a Mac then try to find a way to get the updated OS that only cost $19.99 Free ?

That boggles my mind.
Cuz it is still money... 20 bucks here, another 20 bucks there and PUM its gone... i rather save it and spend it somewhere else... that simple

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Ohh I see..well I am just going to buy it in the middle of August... which means it is probably going to get it pre-installed =/

Cuz it is still money... 20 bucks here, another 20 bucks there and PUM its gone... i rather save it and spend it somewhere else... that simple

yes my mbp came pre-installed with lion but it was around the time the promo for free up to date for lion was going on i was able to get a redemption code download from the MAS and make a bootable installer of lion so i could do clean installs if i needed to

I know exactly what you mean. Its bad enough that you paid a lot of bucks for the Mac in the first place but to have to shell out more $$$ on the OS? Yeah, it does add up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.