Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i need to know how exactly do you pronounce his last name? is it jobs like "i need a new job?" or jobs with a long "o" sound?

sorry, but i will be doing an informative speech about Apple in my business communications class, and i want to be accurate

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
twoodcc said:
i need to know how exactly do you pronounce his last name? is it jobs like "i need a new job?" or jobs with a long "o" sound?

sorry, but i will be doing an informative speech about Apple in my business communications class, and i want to be accurate

jaaaahbs

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
yellow said:
Steve isn't biblical.

You must not have read the bible then. :p

jobs_christ.jpg

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
yellow said:
I don't have much truck with religion, but wasn't Job (the biblical one) a "bad guy"?

Actually, he was as perfect a human can get. If I recall correctly, Satan tempted him over and over and he never wavered and he continued to love and thank God. Although many believe the story is satirical.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
grapes911 said:
Actually, he was as perfect a human can get. If I recall correctly, Satan tempted him over and over and he never wavered and he continued to love and thank God. Although many believe the story is satirical.

Interesting, pretty applicable to Steve in a way. :D

By the way, I've been meaning to say this for a while, yellow your 'tar is the best I have ever come across.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
twoodcc said:
i need to know how exactly do you pronounce his last name?
It rhymes with "gobs," as in the amount of money he has.

grapes911 said:
You must not have read the bible then. :p
Clear favorite for "Post of the Month". Although I thought in the bible, it was Satan with the Apple.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for clearing that up for me. i see that this thread went everywhere from there, but at least i got what i needed. and if anyone wants to help me out on my speech, i'd appreciate it. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
twoodcc said:
if anyone wants to help me out on my speech, i'd appreciate it. :)
I've never heard you talk, so I can't be of much help. However, I could recommend some things for your writing.

I'm just joking with you, of course. :-D

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
yellow said:
Yes. With a S at the end. Steve isn't biblical.
That was probably one of my favorite moments in Pirates of Silicon Valley, when the bank guy came in asking for Steve Jobs (rhymes with "probes") and Steve-o corrected him w/out even looking up from what he was doing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Unless you're from Chicago, in which case it's pronounced "jabs." Or from New York City, in which case you'd be forgiven for pronouncing it "jawbs."

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
twoodcc said:
ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind

Other choice phrases to avoid:

* "with no further ado"
* "okay people..."
* "this is a funny story..."

;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
emw said:
I've never heard you talk, so I can't be of much help. However, I could recommend some things for your writing.

I'm just joking with you, of course. :-D

i'd love for some recommendations. but it has to be an informative speech, not persuasive. and it's not just about Steve Jobs, it's about Apple. and i have to have 3 main points in the speech. i was thinking about the success with the ipod, transition to intel, and just compare OS X to windows

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'd avoid the comparision, it's kind of been done to death.

I think a better tactic might be the subtle introduction to OS X.

I'd target Steve's return to Apple after having left it years before (I'd do a quick blurb about that, why he left, what happened while he was gone, Apple's financial and business troubles in the interim), and then all the changes that have happened to make Apple Computer Inc. one of the most sucessful companies in the last 5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.