Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomato910

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Ok, so I'm sold on getting a new 11.6.

My current first revision MBA packed up a few months ago and the hard drive needs replacing. I live in China and getting to an Apple store is quite a bit of hassle so I'd much rather do the job myself HOWEVER I don't know what to do with the HD once I've installed it into the MBA. I don't know anyone with install disks either. If I purchase my 11.6, I'll get the USB drive with it though.

So, am I able to install Mac OS from the USB onto an old MBA with a completely new HD?

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading someplace that the MBA's restore stick installs a (more or less) "customized" version of Mac OS X 10.6, designed just for the new MBA.

Tomato910

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Most probably not, as it does not contain the right drivers. What about getting Snow Leopard for 29$?

Why would I buy CDs if I could install far more conveniently from a flash drive?

My local store will install the OS for me for free... it's just 1 hour getting there, a while explaining to them in Chinese what I need, then an hour or more to install, then an hour back... just wondering if I could avoid all this and just use the flash drive when I get it.

So no one has attempted to use it in another device just yet?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Why would I buy CDs if I could install far more conveniently from a flash drive?

My local store will install the OS for me for free... it's just 1 hour getting there, a while explaining to them in Chinese what I need, then an hour or more to install, then an hour back... just wondering if I could avoid all this and just use the flash drive when I get it.

So no one has attempted to use it in another device just yet?

I thought there were other threads that said that it was device specific. People have tried to use the USB stick in other Macs and haven't been able to boot from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.