Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Good morning,

I have an interesting hiccup. Every time I power up the computer the trash will be populated by a "Recovered Files" folder which is seemingly empty.

It isn't a bother to simply delete it every time, but I am curious about what is causing this to occur.

How would you folks suggest I proceed in eluding this minor mystery?

Thanks!!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
is it happening all the time? or occasionally? try working without running a program you use (ie Word), then reboot... so, narrow it down by process of elimination. or, someone else? there should be a way to find out what's leaving code in the trash (thru the Console, perhaps?)...

EDIT: so you DID check some of the links i posted? for example, the first thing i found was this:

"The recovered files are temporary files used by OS X apps. Usually temporary files are deleted by an app when it no longer needs them. If an app quits unexpectedly, it may not be able to delete the temporary files before it quits. When you restart your Mac, OS X moves these temporary files to the Trash."`

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A personal experience:

It was on some older Mac (that I no longer use) with an older copy of the OS (which I no longer use).

I, too, used to get the "recovered files in trash" after rebooting nearly all the time.

I was never able to pin down the source.

BUT... after a while, one just lives with it.
After bootup, I would just empty the trash "and be done with it".
And not be worrying about it...

eyedee

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Funny, I just noticed my Mac's doing the same thing. I'm happy to leave in the trash and delete whenever's convenient though.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Many times this is a background app extension for an app that is either no longer on your Mac because you decided it sucked and deleted it, or it's no longer working with the OS version you're running but keeps trying.

Many apps have extensions, background daemons, etc. that run independently of the app itself, and they don't get deleted when you delete the main app. This is one reason getting apps only from the app store is a good thing. Apple prevents those apps from doing this.

Still other times it's just a rogue app that crashes when shutting the Mac down. MS Word is famous for this if it is in a "hidden" state in the Dock when you try to shut down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.