Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Hi there,

Been a pc user all my life, have just ordered one of the new Macbook Pros and although I work in I.T., I have 0% hands-on experience with Macs, and little experience with laptops in recent years.

For the Aussie wireless ISP called Unwired who I'm about to sign-up with, they have two different modems than can be used - the external "Wireless Modem" and the internal (manually inserted) "Wireless Card". I'd rather not use the Wireless Modem as it's so big and clunky compared to the Wireless Card.

I'm wondering if anyone who has the Unwired Wireless Card can tell me if using that takes up a side plug-in slot that would otherwise be used for some kind of Apple wireless card (that might be used for peripherals or networking, etc.) that comes with the Macbook Pro itself? Or is all the wireless functionality on a Macbook Pro completely in-built already?

Cheers,
Terry.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Hi there,

Been a pc user all my life, have just ordered one of the new Macbook Pros and although I work in I.T., I have 0% hands-on experience with Macs, and little experience with laptops in recent years.

For the Aussie wireless ISP called Unwired who I'm about to sign-up with, they have two different modems than can be used - the external "Wireless Modem" and the internal (manually inserted) "Wireless Card". I'd rather not use the Wireless Modem as it's so big and clunky compared to the Wireless Card.

I'm wondering if anyone who has the Unwired Wireless Card can tell me if using that takes up a side plug-in slot that would otherwise be used for some kind of Apple wireless card (that might be used for peripherals or networking, etc.) that comes with the Macbook Pro itself? Or is all the wireless functionality on a Macbook Pro completely in-built already?

Cheers,
Terry.

The wireless card is, I believe, PCMCIA and as such won't fit in the MacBook's newer ExpressCard/34 slot. Check with Unwired as to when (if they don't already) offer an ExpressCard/34 version of the wireless card.

Wireless networking capabilities are built-in to the MacBook Pro and MacBook. It's 802.11g suitable for using a wireless router for internet but not suitable for the kind of wireless internet Unwired offer.

Unless Unwired make an ExpressCard/34 version of their wireless card you're stuck with the modem.

mrblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer guys, much appreciated. I have been spending time researching and learning, but somehow missed that System Requirements page!

Guess I'll have to settle for their clunky Wireless Modem then, or see if there's any other wireless internet providers that use the type of card the Mac would need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.