Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Ok, here's the deal.

When working from home, I need to connect to my office through a VPN client (I use Tunnelblick) ans works very good.

I would like to have a Folder (for which I know the IP address) as a alias in my Finder.

Question: How do I make this folder (accessible via Tunnelblick and Remote Desktop Connection) to show up in my Finder as an alias?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and guide.

GSM.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Lot probably depends on what OS is at work and if and how you can setup sharing on that computer. This could get complicated.

I would place the folder at work in Dropbox/Box/ownCloud/... service and use the folder on home computer through these services or through the web browser. In this case you should not need vpn to get to the folder content. This thing is very easy since someone else provides the service.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Lot probably depends on what OS is at work and if and how you can setup sharing on that computer. This could get complicated.

I would place the folder at work in Dropbox/Box/ownCloud/... service and use the folder on home computer through these services or through the web browser. In this case you should not need vpn to get to the folder content. This thing is very easy since someone else provides the service.
[doublepost=1488816737][/doublepost]Thanks a lot -- I will try what you have kindly suggested to do. The folder I need to have access from my Mac is located under a Windows Server, and a VPN connection is needed to access it.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
An alternate method would be to connect via VPN, mount the folder via SMB. You'll see the folder on your desktop. Create an alias and save that alias in a folder in Finder.
Once you do that, when connected via VPN, you can just click that folder and it will auto mount and you'll have direct access to that folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.