Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pentree68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2006
can somebody help me? i want to import a song from a source other than a cd into my i-tunes library. for example, i have a song on my desktop. i can easily drag it into the library and it plays perfect, but when i delete the song from my desktop the song will no recognized in my i-tunes library. the only way i can permanently keep a song in my library is to import it from a cd. i've tried going to the library under "file" and try to import the song, also tried creating a playlist, but as soon as i send my song from the desktop to the recycle bin, i-tunes can't play the song. what am i doing wrong?
barb

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Go to the iTunes preferences, then to Advanced, then Importing.

Make sure the box next to "Copy files to iTunes music folder when importing" is ticked.

This means that when you add a song to the iTunes library either from a CD or by dragging a file etc. iTunes will copy the file into the iTunes Music folder. You can then delete the song from the desktop.

pentree68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2006
i-tunes import problem

Chundles said:
Go to the iTunes preferences, then to Advanced, then Importing.

Make sure the box next to "Copy files to iTunes music folder when importing" is ticked.

This means that when you add a song to the iTunes library either from a CD or by dragging a file etc. iTunes will copy the file into the iTunes Music folder. You can then delete the song from the desktop.

When I grow up (I'm only 23) I want to be as smart as you! THANKS!!!!!!!
barb

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
pentree68 said:
When I grow up (I'm only 23) I want to be as smart as you! THANKS!!!!!!!
barb

I'm "only" 23 too Barb, trust me, you don't ever wanna grow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.