Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Hello. I just installed Tiger on my work computer. As I use it for Graphic design, I did the usual "font cleanup", i.e.: deleting all non-essential fonts.

With panther, the OS worked fine when you deleted all fonts from the "System > Library > Fonts" folder except for the 5 essential system fonts: Geneva, Keyboard, Last Resort, Lucida and Monaco.

I tried deleting all fonts but these five in Tiger and the finder went crazy. (Couldn't refresh windows) My guess is that Tiger use different (more?) system fonts.

Anybody have any clue which these are? Or am I completely off the track?

Thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
srobert said:
Hello. I just installed Tiger on my work computer. As I use it for Graphic design, I did the usual "font cleanup", i.e.: deleting all non-essential fonts.

With panther, the OS worked fine when you deleted all fonts from the "System > Library > Fonts" folder except for the 5 essential system fonts: Geneva, Keyboard, Last Resort, Lucida and Monaco.

I tried deleting all fonts but these five in Tiger and the finder went crazy. (Couldn't refresh windows) My guess is that Tiger use different (more?) system fonts.

Anybody have any clue which these are? Or am I completely off the track?

Thanks
You can find them at /Macintosh HD/System/Library/Fonts. I suggest that you leave them there.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
When I had font problems in Panther I was worried about deleting essential fonts but I could not delete the fonts in the System Library.

I'd leave them exactly where they are and just clean up font folders in your apps libraries as opposed to anything else.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Cold_Steel said:
maybe a little OT but why would you eant to delete the fonts anyways? do excess fonts slow down the OS X?

Matt
That's correct--fonts are not going to cause problems in MacOS X unless they are corrupt. For those people who get confused by all of the choices available to them, Apple provides Font Book. Use this utility to manage your fonts. I assume that anyone who thinks that Apple provided too many fonts is not going to buy Suitcase.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Excess fonts do cause slow-down but we're talking major excesses - like several thousand of the things. A couple of hundred extra will make little difference unless they are, of course, corrupt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.