Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I want to re install the OS X... not happy with the performance of my iBook.

1) Does archive and install mean that the OS is re done from scratch but all my apps/music/photos and preferences will be there when it re boots?

2) How do I do an archive and install, any steps i should take not off?
My iBook came with Jaguar(10.2) and when I bought it I got the upgrade version of Panther (10.3) free from apple as I was eligible.

Thanks! I could use advice as I have never done this before.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Personally, I like to back everything up and do a clean install; I think you have less potential problems that way. Just my take on it.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Question 1 of yours:

Yep, the stuff is "archived" and then the new OS is "Installed," hence the name "archive and install" lol

:p

I don't know about preferences... I wouldn't thinks so though.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No matter which version of "A&I" you do, nothing gets erased.

Things that are slated to get replaced, get moved to "/Previous System/Previous System 1/" (or 2 or 3 etc) first.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Unfortunately, the archive process breaks some applications, which will need to be reinstalled. Other than that, you won't lose any data - what gets archived depends on whether or not you select the "Preserve users and network settings" option before the install takes place.

Applespider

macrumors G4
One thing to bear in mind - the system will install itself at 10.3.0 (or whatever is on your upgrade disk) so you're going to need to allow yourself time to update everything back up to 10.3.8. Software update will show the Combo updater though so that makes it a little faster.

Some of your apps may not work until you get back to the 10.3.8 level. Others you may have to install from scratch - I was lucky, everything remained OK.

One thing that was alarming though. I connect via a Airport and since the system obviously didn't recognise the airport's updated firmware when I first installed it, I couldn't get online. I had to plug the ethernet cable into the Mac directly to be able to download the upgrades. Soon as they were done, the network could be detected again.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Are the network settings for airport and all the different locations saved?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
MXDT said:
I want to re install the OS X... not happy with the performance of my iBook.

Are you certain a reinstall is all that can be done to restore the performance of your iBook? I'm just wondering if there's perhaps less drastic measures you could take...

Applespider

macrumors G4
MXDT said:
Are the network settings for airport and all the different locations saved?

Yes, but your Mac might not recognise your Airport until you update the OS again. That was my trouble - it wouldn't connect via Airport until I got back to 10.3.7 (as it was then). It just kept throwing up a network/password box. Then ta da, it reconnected automatically so all the settings must have been there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.