Questions about archive and install

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MXDT, Feb 20, 2005.

1. MXDT macrumors member

I want to re install the OS X... not happy with the performance of my iBook.

1) Does archive and install mean that the OS is re done from scratch but all my apps/music/photos and preferences will be there when it re boots?

2) How do I do an archive and install, any steps i should take not off?
    My iBook came with Jaguar(10.2) and when I bought it I got the upgrade version of Panther (10.3) free from apple as I was eligible.

Thanks! I could use advice as I have never done this before.

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Personally, I like to back everything up and do a clean install; I think you have less potential problems that way. Just my take on it.

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Question 1 of yours:

Yep, the stuff is "archived" and then the new OS is "Installed," hence the name "archive and install" lol

:p

I don't know about preferences... I wouldn't thinks so though.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No matter which version of "A&I" you do, nothing gets erased.

Things that are slated to get replaced, get moved to "/Previous System/Previous System 1/" (or 2 or 3 etc) first.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, the archive process breaks some applications, which will need to be reinstalled. Other than that, you won't lose any data - what gets archived depends on whether or not you select the "Preserve users and network settings" option before the install takes place.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One thing to bear in mind - the system will install itself at 10.3.0 (or whatever is on your upgrade disk) so you're going to need to allow yourself time to update everything back up to 10.3.8. Software update will show the Combo updater though so that makes it a little faster.

Some of your apps may not work until you get back to the 10.3.8 level. Others you may have to install from scratch - I was lucky, everything remained OK.

One thing that was alarming though. I connect via a Airport and since the system obviously didn't recognise the airport's updated firmware when I first installed it, I couldn't get online. I had to plug the ethernet cable into the Mac directly to be able to download the upgrades. Soon as they were done, the network could be detected again.

7. MXDT thread starter macrumors member

Are the network settings for airport and all the different locations saved?

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are you certain a reinstall is all that can be done to restore the performance of your iBook? I'm just wondering if there's perhaps less drastic measures you could take...

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes, but your Mac might not recognise your Airport until you update the OS again. That was my trouble - it wouldn't connect via Airport until I got back to 10.3.7 (as it was then). It just kept throwing up a network/password box. Then ta da, it reconnected automatically so all the settings must have been there.