questions about panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheFish, Aug 30, 2003.

1. TheFish macrumors member

I was wondering what key points panther has improved on. if you look at this site http://www.xvsxp.com/ it compares xp to jaguar and i wanted to know what they have improved on next to jag. the only thing i know really is fast user switching

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i suggest searching the threads about panther. there is a ton of useful information.

a few other small things:
    boot time is significantly quicker.
    the finder has been almost completely rewritten.
    fast searching from the finder.
    exposé
    faster response times.
    faster app load times.

ETC...

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

4. TheFish thread starter macrumors member

theres only so much in the preview, im wondering small things like resizing windows, in jag when you resize a window the window cant even catch up with cursor

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i suggest you wait until Panther goes final. a lot can change between now and then, especially performance-wise. So it's not a fair assessment against Jag.

pnw

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont listen to this site, it is stupid. they are right on some things, but i dont agree with them. like transferring files. the other day i was loading a gb's worth of stuff on my friends dell laptop before he went to college. i had a difficult time getting my powermac to read it. now i had it set up pretty easily between my powermac and my xp machine. but something about his machine just made this a hassle. each comptuer would see it on my network but could never open it. i ended up resulting in a simple crossover cable which worked a little bit better. but i was just thinking, only if i had 2 macs with a firewire port and use Target Disc Mode, so much easier and conveinent. thats just my opinion. i love how xp wins on lots of the system restore stuff and things like that. micsosoft needs to make it easy because i know ive had to do it way more than restoring a mac.

iJon