Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ejilol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I'm wondering how the whole situation is like as this will be my first camp out - pre-order for an apple event. For both pre-orders and for camping out in the past.

Tips from people that have camped out for previous apple products?

How quick do pre-orders run out that people go to the stores? And even then, are pre-orders directly from an apple warehouse and not a local apple store?

Questions, questions, questions!

Thank you for any responses!

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I'm wondering how the whole situation is like as this will be my first camp out - pre-order for an apple event. For both pre-orders and for camping out in the past.

Tips from people that have camped out for previous apple products?

Thank you for any responses!

I'd imagine the same as last time, pre-order online available (which will probably crash)

Personally I wouldn't waste your time standing outside an Apple store for hours on end. Try another retailer. I walked into Comet on iPad2 launch day @ 4.45pm and still got one. Why anyone stands in a queue for days is just beyond me

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
in my experience with all apple product launches in the past few years (iPhones and iPads) there will be two options. On March 7 (or whatever the date ends up being) Apple will announce the iPad 3 launch date and start pre-orders.

If you pre-order you have one of two options, have the iPad shipped to your house (in which case it should arrive on launch day) or pick up at the store.

Everyone who pre-ordered and is picking up at the store gets a separate line from those waiting to buy the device on launch day.

If you don't pre-order, you will need to wait in line outside the apple store and hope that they get enough stock for you to get the iPad you want. If your stores are anything like ours you will want to get there about 12-18 hours before store opens to camp out.

The pre-order line doesn't tend to start getting people until maybe an hour or two before they open, and afaik, those orders are all guaranteed.

Another thing to keep in mind, ATT and Verizon stores will likely get stock, at least of 3G/4G? models. Places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. may get devices on launch day, or maybe shortly after. Sometimes Radio Shack does their own "release" like a week after Apple launches the product.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
in my experience with all apple product launches in the past few years (iPhones and iPads) there will be two options. On March 7 (or whatever the date ends up being) Apple will announce the iPad 3 launch date and start pre-orders.

If you pre-order you have one of two options, have the iPad shipped to your house (in which case it should arrive on launch day) or pick up at the store.

Everyone who pre-ordered and is picking up at the store gets a separate line from those waiting to buy the device on launch day.

If you don't pre-order, you will need to wait in line outside the apple store and hope that they get enough stock for you to get the iPad you want. If your stores are anything like ours you will want to get there about 12-18 hours before store opens to camp out.

The pre-order line doesn't tend to start getting people until maybe an hour or two before they open, and afaik, those orders are all guaranteed.

Another thing to keep in mind, ATT and Verizon stores will likely get stock, at least of 3G/4G? models. Places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. may get devices on launch day, or maybe shortly after. Sometimes Radio Shack does their own "release" like a week after Apple launches the product.

for the iPad 2 i checked around here in late april early may just for fun and no Targets, Wal-Marts or best buy's showed any in stock. It seems like when supplies are limited at least target and wal-mart get 1 or 2 at a time

iPad-Lover

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

4:45 pm? iPad 2 was released at 5:00 last year, I dought other retailers are aloud to sell a product before it's released, I could be mistaken though but trust me it was 5:00

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Don't quite understand how the whole queue thing works if they go on sale at 5pm (like they seemed to last year?) All the other shops would still be open etc and people would just be in the way surely :p

I'll be at my computer when the keynote is on so hopefully I can preorder one, if I manage to I won't go into town to buy one. If I can't, I'll go into town.. The Apple store (Reading) and the PC World are literally a 30 second walk from each other so not sure which I would go too

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I want to make sure that I come away with a win on this one. I have been waiting for the iPad 3 (or iPad 2s, whatever the name may be) for months now. (The iPhone just isn't quite big enough for reading my books.)

As far as the pre-order is concerned, the best bet would be to simply be on the Apple Store website in 'Shop iPad'. Then, once the pre-order is announced, hit a refresh and the iPad 3 will appear or how is this about to go down?

This is my first Release as well...

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I want to make sure that I come away with a win on this one. I have been waiting for the iPad 3 (or iPad 2s, whatever the name may be) for months now. (The iPhone just isn't quite big enough for reading my books.)

As far as the pre-order is concerned, the best bet would be to simply be on the Apple Store website in 'Shop iPad'. Then, once the pre-order is announced, hit a refresh and the iPad 3 will appear or how is this about to go down?

This is my first Release as well...
Hey I'm from up north a bit in Grand Forks. At first I was planning on walking into Sams or Best Buy on launch day to get my iPad 3, but now I'm thinking order online also. If video game releases are any measure of lines in this area I've seen them get pretty big.

pinkertonpunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
I heard the iPad 2 didn't ahve pre-orders though. Is that true? I am going to be wanting to get an iPad 3 on launch so I'm hoping for pre-orders but I'm willing to wait in line if needed.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
in the past they open about an hour early (10am) here to start selling the iPads. If you are waiting in line, plan on getting there at least about 12 hours before if you live in a large city.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
in the past they open about an hour early (10am) here to start selling the iPads. If you are waiting in line, plan on getting there at least about 12 hours before if you live in a large city.

Last years iPad was a 5pm launch remember?
But, that caused havoc in my shopping centre!!

Let's hope it's an early launch this year!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I just looked at my old posts from in line at the various launches.... LOL! In 2010 on April 3rd (first iPad) they had reserved orders and non-reserved: two lines. That was a morning launch. On April 30th (iPad Wifi &3G) they had no reservations and it was an afternoon launch. On March 11th -- a year ago! -- they had the iPad 2 release, an afternoon launch, no reservations.

So, yes, this year it might be a morning launch again.....?

As for getting to the store, it is best to get there at least an hour before, but preferably two or more hours in advance if you really want to get the new iPad. It's fun waiting in line, really.....

hungstart

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Cordova, TN
My store has always had 2 lines, one for preorder pickup and those that didn't.

I got a shipment notification from Apple on my new iPad today.

Rick

Sent from my iPad 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.