Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestCoastpdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Portland, OR
thanks for help Mad, was a matter of guess and check, guess there isn't a default.

MODS- FEEL FREE TO DELETE, Got the help I needed THANKS!

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
With a new Mac, you set up the user/pass during initial setup. Since it's used, however, he'll need to boot from an install CD/DVD and use the Change Password utility (or whatever it's called ;) ) in order to change the password of the user that's already installed on the computer.

Once he's changed the already-installed-user's password, he can log in with that. While logged in, go into System Preferences and make a new user with whatever he wants his login name to be, with the password that he wants. Give this new user administrator privileges then log out of this "default" user. Log in as the new user and delete the old one from system preferences.

All Set!

P.S. To anyone who wants to be productive, we should have a "how to make a new user" guide in Mac Guides... I'm WAY too busy to do more than this post. ;)

EDIT: I'm now a sad, sad panda

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
since it's a new-used or used-new (which is it??? :confused: ) none of the docs on it are yours, so I'd just do a format/install anyway. Then you get to set it all up so it's his name and junk instead of the old owner's.

if there were some things you wanted to save, burn them to CD/DVD before doin' all this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.