Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
What's a server? I mean I don't really wanna know in detail but just a quick explanation. If I do wanna setup a Forum, do I need a server? What are the usage of servers etc...? And if I plan to host some files, do I need a server? What's hosting etc...? Maybe you guys can give me a brief explanation or maybe refer me to some sites? Thanks in advance.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
A server is just a computer that provides services to other computers. For basic stuff, any computer will work. If you are going to have high traffic or large transfers, you won't want to use your everyday computer because it will slow it down.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
DarkNetworks said:
What's a server? I mean I don't really wanna know in detail but just a quick explanation. If I do wanna setup a Forum, do I need a server? What are the usage of servers etc...? And if I plan to host some files, do I need a server? What's hosting etc...? Maybe you guys can give me a brief explanation or maybe refer me to some sites? Thanks in advance.

no details, yet you want to setup a forum? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.