Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subl1me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I'm going to buy a used powerbook 12'' on eBay. I'm eyeing two right now...both have 768ram and superdrive. However, one has a 1GhZ processor with software extras like office X (which i need b/c im a student)...and the other one has 1.33GhZ but with no extras..the 1GhZ is 50 bucks cheaper.... which one should i get? I'm dying to get one already.....

Or should i wait until the revisions come out?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
subl1me said:
I'm going to buy a used powerbook 12'' on eBay. I'm eyeing two right now...both have 768ram and superdrive. However, one has a 1GhZ processor with software extras like office X (which i need b/c im a student)...and the other one has 1.33GhZ but with no extras..the 1GhZ is 50 bucks cheaper.... which one should i get? I'm dying to get one already.....

Or should i wait until the revisions come out?

i would wait. the updates will drive the prices down of these Pb's even more. you should check to see if the seller is including the disk for the software. i would prefer to have the disks if possible.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Steven1621 said:
i would wait. the updates will drive the prices down of these Pb's even more. you should check to see if the seller is including the disk for the software. i would prefer to have the disks if possible.

It is illegal to sell the software without the disks, IIRC. (if iRecall Correctly)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A lot would depend on the amount of money that you have to spend. I would say that the 1Ghz sounds like a good deal. The extra software would be very valuable. Beside asking if the CD's are included, check if there is AppleCare still remaining. The AppleCare would be of great importance to me also.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I've kept up with powerbook prices on ebay on and off for a year or so. Generally, they sell for too much-- even a 12 inch 867 GHz first gen PB usually hits $1000. A new 1.2 GHz ibook, superior (internally) in every way to the first gen PB, is $999. That's nuts.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
jayscheuerle said:
Right. But he's not SELLING it. I don't think it's illegal to buy it. Same with mp3s. It's the trading that gets you in trouble, not the having them on your drive...

If the software is on the drive, and the seller holds onto the CDs, then that is illegal. Because then you get software and the seller gets software from one original source.

Or something along those lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.