QUICK QUESTION...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by subl1me, Jan 27, 2005.

1. subl1me macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a used powerbook 12'' on eBay. I'm eyeing two right now...both have 768ram and superdrive. However, one has a 1GhZ processor with software extras like office X (which i need b/c im a student)...and the other one has 1.33GhZ but with no extras..the 1GhZ is 50 bucks cheaper.... which one should i get? I'm dying to get one already.....

Or should i wait until the revisions come out?

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would wait. the updates will drive the prices down of these Pb's even more. you should check to see if the seller is including the disk for the software. i would prefer to have the disks if possible.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It is illegal to sell the software without the disks, IIRC. (if iRecall Correctly)

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would think that is correct, so it would be a good thing to know

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A lot would depend on the amount of money that you have to spend. I would say that the 1Ghz sounds like a good deal. The extra software would be very valuable. Beside asking if the CD's are included, check if there is AppleCare still remaining. The AppleCare would be of great importance to me also.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Right. But he's not SELLING it. I don't think it's illegal to buy it. Same with mp3s. It's the trading that gets you in trouble, not the having them on your drive...

7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I've kept up with powerbook prices on ebay on and off for a year or so. Generally, they sell for too much-- even a 12 inch 867 GHz first gen PB usually hits $1000. A new 1.2 GHz ibook, superior (internally) in every way to the first gen PB, is $999. That's nuts.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If the software is on the drive, and the seller holds onto the CDs, then that is illegal. Because then you get software and the seller gets software from one original source.

Or something along those lines.