Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
OK, I've got both a uMBP 5,1 and a new 21.5" iMac. I want to upgrade the RAM on the MBP. I'm pretty certain that the two use the exact same RAM. This stuff in particular:

Newegg

Just want to be absolutely certain this RAM will work with my machines; I'm hoping to put the 2x1 GB pair that's in the MBP into the iMac so I'll have 6 GB. Again, I've found nothing to say that it won't work, but just want to be certain. :)

BelowTheBelt

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
OK, I've got both a uMBP 5,1 and a new 21.5" iMac. I want to upgrade the RAM on the MBP. I'm pretty certain that the two use the exact same RAM. This stuff in particular:

Newegg

Just want to be absolutely certain this RAM will work with my machines; I'm hoping to put the 2x1 GB pair that's in the MBP into the iMac so I'll have 6 GB. Again, I've found nothing to say that it won't work, but just want to be certain. :)

Yeah mate that is what you are looking for spot on.

I would however do a little brand shopping as well, you might be able to locate a better price.

Just the same, you are cooking with gas now.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Newegg

I'm looking to a similar thing.

Have just got VM 3 and W7 (64 bit) installed on my i7 iMac, and could do with some extra RAM breathing space - photoshop.

Ideally I'd have this option on the MBP too. Will have to see how the budget stretches.

Any word on when 4GB pieces might drop in price? (They seem to have been 'up there' forever!)

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks so much! I have no idea about prices, so thanks for the info, Badger.

There's some possibility I may need a VM installation on the iMac, so that's why I want to reuse the RAM from the MBP.

Badger, is there any important reason (other than personal preference ;) ) to choose OWC over Crucial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.