Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I had the Camera + solution but never used it

For me, using the soft button is easier and makes a better picture

What many don't realize is, you don't have to punch the soft button
The shutter doesn't release until your touch releases
Just put your finger on the button, center your shot and let go
Much more stable than squeezing the volume button

azajohns

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
OK figured out the volume shutter (instructions were in the screenshots on the app store). Still have no idea how to use the rest of the buttons. I think the reason the shutter volume feature got through is because Apple didn't bother testing the app at all, its really really terrible.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
This app will be removed soon, I am sure. Just because some tool who probably needs to 'review' 200 apps a day hit the approved button doesn't mean the Apple isn't as discriminating as they were with Camera+. Apple is just letting the users do their homework and pointing out features that break the TOS.

I am sure there are other apps that break the TOS too. But since they aren't talked about, they still are around. Remember the first rule of fight club? It works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
LOL... I agree. There are also way too many iPhone stories on the front page. What ever happened to the rest of the Apple hardware, MACs perhaps?
Maybe it's time to rename to IOSrumors.com :D

https://www.macrumors.com/page3/

It is reserved for special stories. This should have been on the GREATLY under-utilized page 2. Along with 1/2 the other stories that have come out recently....

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Apple should just allow the option to use the vol buttons to use as shutters for all camera apps.
It's really handy and so natural compared to using the screen to press the shutter.

Please Apple allow this function for all camera apps, especially the recently added Camera + which is still the best camera app.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
This is the kind of little thing that seriously annoys me about apples design. I rarely used my iPhone as a camera. If it is a picture where the screen is at an angle or away from me it is more trouble than it is worth to use.

I have had an iPhone 4 and Droid X and Droid X wins in camera functionality.

What many don't realize is, you don't have to punch the soft button
The shutter doesn't release until your touch releases
Just put your finger on the button, center your shot and let go
Much more stable than squeezing the volume button

It gets annoying how many incredible little things are not apparent. I had NO idea about this. It is like two finger scroll. For years I had no idea you could use two fingers to scroll text boxes, etc. It is awesome that they made these great features, but it is more than just my fault for not knowing all of them.

Last edited:

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I think three seconds is a long time when people are posing for a picture. There should be an option to have the picture take immediately like the native (soft) button. Then we'd have something cool.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I'm sorry, where is their point? This app will be removed soon, I am sure. Just because some tool who probably needs to 'review' 200 apps a day hit the approved button doesn't mean the Apple isn't as discriminating as they were with Camera+. Apple is just letting the users do their homework and pointing out features that break the TOS.

I am sure there are other apps that break the TOS too. But since they aren't talked about, they still are around. Remember the first rule of fight club? It works.

The point it that Apple has approved an App that blaitently advertises a feature the other app got taken down for.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Apple should just allow the option to use the vol buttons to use as shutters for all camera apps.
It's really handy and so natural compared to using the screen to press the shutter.

Please Apple allow this function for all camera apps, especially the recently added Camera + which is still the best camera app.
wont happen. Along with half a dozen other things that should be standard. Though those features differ for each user

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's horrible to use volume buttons for shutter. It introduces lots of camera shake (aka blurry photos) because you'll move the device way more than using the touchscreen.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Small White Car said:
So I guess this is a 'get it while you can' warning?

Cool! :D

Although, that being said, not sure I'm going to invest $2 in an app that will probably never be updated.

Wow you must be rich

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Scuff you Apple - I just got my volume button shutter rerelease on the iPhone.

Oh, scuff you to the ground and back.

You don't like it - well come and get it from me

You feel that burn, yeah, that was me taking a picture with my iPhone camera using a volume button. Oh, it must hurt to be you.

The point it that Apple has approved an App that blaitently advertises a feature the other app got taken down for.

Well, they did approve NetShare, where the functions spelled out were counter to what was allowable. Perhaps they snorted a little too much coke, and spaced on in.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
It's horrible to use volume buttons for shutter. It introduces lots of camera shake (aka blurry photos) because you'll move the device way more than using the touchscreen.

But using the volume buttons are great for point-and-shoot use. If you're just wanting to take pictures at a party with you and your friends, it works wonderfully. Plus, when you hand your phone to someone to take a pic, it's a little easier for them — especially if they haven't used an iPhone before.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
OK figured out the volume shutter (instructions were in the screenshots on the app store). Still have no idea how to use the rest of the buttons. I think the reason the shutter volume feature got through is because Apple didn't bother testing the app at all, its really really terrible.

Agreed, it really is a terrible app.
My mom was jealous of my jailbroken iPhone with snap-tap, so when I read about this I told her right away. I'm now sorry I made her waste $2, it simply doesn't work.
Even with the screenshot "instructions", I cannot get the volume shutter to work at all on a stock 3GS with 4.2.1.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
And it was approved right before the one holiday that shuts down more things more completely in the USA than any other. And App Approval isn't considered a critical task requiring 24/7 support like the store itself, etc.
Wow you must be rich

Something people have noticed. The people that tend to have more money tend to be more cautious with it. Or if you want to flip that, the more cautious you are in spending $1 here, $2 there, the more money you will tend to have.

Agreed, it really is a terrible app.
My mom was jealous of my jailbroken iPhone with snap-tap, so when I read about this I told her right away. I'm now sorry I made her waste $2, it simply doesn't work.
Even with the screenshot "instructions", I cannot get the volume shutter to work at all on a stock 3GS with 4.2.1.

Try asking for the money back.

Last edited by a moderator:

locoobug

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
Not that hard to figure it out ^^

Is there a tutorial somewhere for this app? I don't get what the '1,2,3,4' buttons are. There's no flash settings. No settings for anything actually that I can see. I cant see how to enable the volume button shutter, the buttons I can understand only seem to work randomly. What am I missing here?

Behold. I made this with Keynote. And I sucked at it a little bit. :D

Attachments

• lll.001.png
    lll.001.png
    836.1 KB · Views: 88

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
funny that people dont get it.

You guys should realized that those who are checking the apps are not apple engineers. They are just hired people who of coarse can make a mistakes like this one.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
And it was approved right before the one holiday that shuts down more things more completely in the USA than any other. And App Approval isn't considered a critical task requiring 24/7 support like the store itself, etc.

Sorry but that is just wrong.

This is the Busiest Consumer Holiday on the Planet.

Are you saying the remaining Monkeys at the switch are to dumb to do the job?

I really think people are missing the point : Apple approved this, they approved it in it's current advertised state !

They are not trying to hide anything.

smallyfish

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
My computer has been possessed by the windows for nearly 10 years, but I heard that the apps does a better job when dealing with pictures.App's iphone volume buttons to camera shutter,I think that may take some time to know the details.

ruralguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
UK
Removing your finger from a non-moving surface (the standard iPhone method) is a great way to trigger a photo. (Although people who think it triggers on tap instead of release may be shaking the camera needlessly.)

doh - I never realized this before! Just been trying it out - should make my future photos easier to take! At least vie got something out of reading this otherwise pointless thread :)

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I suspect that Apple actually relies on the community for the last major line of defense.

Seriously, all someone in lower management in the review dept. needs to do is check a few tech blogs every morning. The worst thing that happens is an app is out in the wild for a day or two before someone blogs about "feature XYZ", and then guess what happens?

This also guarantees that the "hot spots" get extinguished quickly. Some app that violates the SDK's rules but only has 1 download in 10 months isn't much of a hot spot. It could violate every SDK rule that is in place- I suspect Apple only begins to seriously care about it until there are more than a few downloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.